With the weather back to being chilly, we’re all about warming dishes that really satisfy. That’s why we were so pleased to come across this kale and cannellini bean soup recipe by Alexe Colbus, the local blogger behind Keys to the Cucina.
The nutrient-dense kale and diced tomatoes add a wealth of vitamins and antioxidants to the meal, and the recipe makes enough for plenty of leftovers. Vegetarian? Just skip the bacon.
Serving size: 4 to 6
Nutrition per serving: 116 calories, 4.4 grams fat, 418 milligrams sodium, 11 grams carbohydrate, 3.5 gram fiber, 1.8 grams sugars, 8.8 grams protein.
¼ pound bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 can cannellini beans
1 can diced tomatoes
4 large kale leaves, torn
3 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons crushed pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil
1½ cups vegetable stock
¾ cup water
⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
1) Dice the bacon and add to a pan over medium heat.
2) Cook until the fat renders out, and remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, keeping the fat in the pan.
3) Add the onion to the bacon fat and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, until translucent.
4) Add the tomatoes and cannellini beans, and season with salt, crushed pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
5) Add the vegetable stock, water, and Parmesan cheese, and cook for an hour on low. Add the kale during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
6) Serve with the crispy bacon you set aside and a dash of Parmesan cheese on top.
Have a healthy recipe to share? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured on Well+Being.