Do-It-Yourself Cocktail Fun
Here’s how to do your own liquor infusion at home.
Here’s how to do your own liquor infusion at home:1. Get a large glass jar with an airtight lid and a bottle of your chosen spirit (vodka’s easiest). Pick your fresh fruit or herb.2. Wash and prepare your fresh—not frozen—ingredients.3. Fill the jar with the chosen ingredient, then add spirit until there’s just enough air at the top that you’ll be able to shake it once covered.4. Close tightly, shake, and let sit at room temperature. Continue shaking once or twice a day.5. Infusion time varies—fruits often take about a week—so shake and taste a small amount until you get your desired flavor.6. Once it’s infused to your liking, strain using a cheesecloth or a coffee filter and pour into original bottle. If it’s too strong, add some more uninfused vodka.
Here are some tips to infuse a fifth of vodka (750 milliliters):
• Coconut—use two cups of unsweetened dried coconut.
• Fresh herbs—one to two bunches of thyme, basil, or oregano, roughly chopped.
• Fruit—three to four cups of fresh roughly chopped strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, peaches, or dried apricots.
• Citrus zest—12 lemons or limes, six to eight oranges, or four to six grapefruits. Remove the zest carefully. Do not cut into the white pith; it’s bitter.
• Mint—two or three sprigs, stems and all.