Where to Buy Flowers and Chocolates in Washington
Plus Valentine’s Day specials at each spot.
View Washingtonian Chocolatiers and Florists, Valentine’s Day 2011 in a larger map
Biagio Fine Chocolate (1904 18th St., NW; 202-328-1506)
• Heart-shaped boxes from more than 50 national and international chocolatiers, including Washington producers; assorted sizes, most $20 to $50.
• Prepackaged heart-shaped boxes with a mixture of chocolates from several companies; assorted sizes, $15 to $50.
Chocolate Chocolate (1130 Connecticut Ave., NW; 202-466-2190)
• House Truffle Tin with six handmade milk- and dark-chocolate truffles, $14.95.
• Lillie Belle Farms Romantic Red Ballotin with 16 handmade chocolates combined with organic fruits, wines, and other pairings; examples include Lavendar Caramel and Vodka Cherry; $46.
J. Chocolatier (1039 33rd St., NW; 202-333-4111)
• Drinking-chocolate gift set featuring a milk froster, drinking-chocolate powder, eight pieces of Fleur de Sel Caramel chocolates, and two eight-ounce Swiss Bodum insulated glasses; $65.
Krön Chocolatier (Mazza Gallerie, 5300 Wisconsin Ave.; 202-966-4946)
• Heart-shaped box made of chocolate and filled with chocolates; four pieces for $15, nine for $30.
• Long-stem chocolate roses; $3.50 per rose, three for $13, six for $22.50, a dozen for $44.50.
• Keepsake rose boxes filled with foil-wrapped hearts; assorted sizes $5 through $40.
• Limited edition ¾-pound velvet box of truffles; $35.
Locolat Cafe (1781 Florida Ave., NW; 202-518-2570)
• Heart-shaped boxes made of chocolate filled with about 20 pieces; $38 in a cellophane bag,
$48 in a gift box.
• Customized, hand-painted, personalized chocolate heart-shaped boxes; must be ordered a week in advance (same box as above).
Candy Kitchen (52 N. Market St., Frederick; 301-698-0442).
• Chocolate-dipped strawberries; $25 per pound (typically eight to ten strawberries in a pound).
• Hand-dipped truffles; $28.95 per pound.
• Gourmet non-chocolate goodies.
Chocolate by Cacao (7129 Bethesda Ave., Bethesda; 301-215-6945)
• A dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries; on sale for $38 (regularly $42).
Sweet Cascades (8167 Main St., Ellicott City; 410-750-8422)
• Stemmed bouquet of a dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries in a rose box; $45.
• Nine-piece gift box of chocolate-dipped strawberries with toppings; $45.
• Handmade chocolates and truffles, a dozen for $18.
• Divine Diva Dream Card, punch card for ten hot-chocolate drinks; $19.50 ($42.50 value).
Zoë Chocolate Co. (121-A N. Market St., Frederick; 301-694-5882)
• Valentine’s Day truffle box: white chocolate/black raspberry, heart-shaped signature caramels,
and more; assorted sizes, $13.75 to $47.
• Chocolate-dipped strawberries; six for $11, a dozen for $22.
• Valentine’s Day red-heart bars, mint/white chocolate, or solid dark chocolate; $6.95.
• Butter-toffee tablets; $10.
ACKC—Artfully Chocolate/Kingsbury Confections
(2003-A Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, 703-635-7917; 1529-C 14th St., NW, 202-387-2626)
• Heart-shaped boxes, assorted sizes, $25 to $65.
• Chocolate-dipped strawberries, $18 per pound ($2 to $2.50 per strawberry).
• Gifts for man to man, woman to woman, man to woman, and woman to man.
Artisan Confections (1025 N. Fillmore St., Arlington; 703-524-0007).
• Valentine’s Day box: three salted-butter caramel hearts, passionfruits, and vanilla cremes; $17.
• Large heart-shaped dark-chocolate hazelnut praline caramel tablets; $4.
• Raspberry and rose marshmallows; $4.
• Create Valentine’s Day gift baskets with any merchandise.
Aunt Joanie’s Chocolate Shoppe (10382 Portsmouth Rd., Manassas; 703-393-7639).
• A dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries; $24.
• Customizable heart-shaped boxes: ¼-pound box holds eight pieces; $5.95 (½-pound through three-pound boxes available).
• Handmade heart-shaped boxes made of chocolate and filled with chocolate pieces; $22.95.
• Hand-painted heart-shaped lollipops; less than $2.
Penny Chocolates & Gelato (11877-B Grand Commons Ave., Fairfax; 703-815-9022)
• Heart-shaped truffles; $1.20 per piece.
• Chocolate-dipped strawberries; $2 each, sold as a half dozen or dozen (preorder required).
• Bag of small heart-shaped cookies; $5.
• One large heart-shaped cookie; $2.
• Pint or quart of Valentine’s Day strawberry-and-chocolate-chip gelato (about $11.50 per pint).
• Create Valentine’s Day gift baskets with any merchandise.
The Sugar Cube (210 N. Lee St., Alexandria; 703-548-2868)
• Vosges “Love Goddess” three-layer dark-chocolate cake mix; $12.95.
• Bon Bon Bar “Scotch Bars” and “Bourbon Bars,” George T. Stagg bourbon or Talisker single-malt scotch infused into dark chocolate-and-caramel bars; $5.
• 16-piece handmade Champagne truffle gift box; $25.
• Signature Valentine’s truffle sampler: a dozen handmade truffles (some heart-shaped) in flavors such as Fleur de Sel Caramel and Hot Dark Chocolate; $24.
>> Next: Where to find flowers in Washington
Allan Woods (2645 Connecticut Ave. NW; 202-332-3334)
• Romantic pave (like a bridal bouquet) of roses with mini white calla lilies, $120.
Amaryllis (1625 Eckington Pl. NE; 202-529-2230)
• A dozen roses, traditional or modern arrangement, $150.
• Customized pink and/or red arrangements, $75 and up.
• Both pre-orders and same-day orders for pick-up or delivery accepted.
Citiflowers (1400 L St., NW; 202-842-3092)
• A dozen cash-and-carry roses; $50.
• Mixed arrangement of roses, lilies, and tulips; $60.
• Valentine’s Day Pack: roses, solid chocolates, teddy bear, and balloon; $150.
English Rose (3209 O St. NW; 202-333-3326)
• A dozen red roses with cybidium orchids, $75 and up.
• A bottle of champagne in a bed of flowers, $250 and up.
• Custom bouquet with candles, body creams, chocolates, and your love's favorite magazines, $200+.
• For engagements, English Rose will pair the ring box with chocolates in a bed of roses, $175 and up.
Ultra Violet (1218 31st St., NW; 202-333-3002)
• Calla Kisses, hand-tied bouquet of calla lilies; wrapped arrangements start at $50, vase arrangement at $85.
• WOO, an arrangement of bright-red anemonies, tulips, roses, and more; $150.
• Two Lips, an arrangement of several tulip types, including frill Dutch tulips; small $85, large $250.
• Under the Covers, a soft arrangement featuring scented flowers including Harvest Garden roses; small $150, large $250.
Fiore Floral (14937-A Shady Grove Rd., Rockville; 301-738-2336)
Early orders of the special bouquets below qualify for discounts.
• All arrangements featured on the Web site through Telaflora are available to order.
• Bacio a Mezzanotte (Midnight Kiss), a compact arrangement featuring heart-shaped lily grass, red roses, and eucalyptus; $44.95.
• À Toi, Pour Toujours (Yours Forever), a compact arrangement of pink and red roses, astro flowers, Gerbera daisies, and eucalyptus; $74.95.
• Amore è Gioia. Amore Sei Tu! (Love Is Joy. Love Is You!), pink and red roses, red tulips, white hydrangeas, and more; $64.95.
• My Life, My Soul, tall arrangement of red roses, pink lilies, hydrangeas, bells of Ireland; $94.95.
• If I Could Say More … , a compact arrangement of red and pink roses, baby green and blue hydrangeas, and more; $74.95.
Johnson’s Florist & Garden Centers (10313 Kensington Pkwy., Kensington, 301-946-6700;
5011 Olney-Laytonsville Rd., Olney, 301-987-1940; 4200 Wisconsin Ave., NW, 202-244-6100)
Call to preorder or order for delivery. Delivery charge starts at $12.
• A dozen sweetheart roses (pinks, oranges, and whites); $70, two dozen $120.
• Four-foot stem roses; $12 each.
• Customized arrangements; starting at $50.
Park Florist (6921 Laurel Ave., Takoma Park; 301-270-1848)
Preorder for pickup, and order for delivery by February 11.
• Young Lovers bouquets, featuring bright colors such as hot-pink roses; $60 to $100.
• Soulmates arrangements, featuring tall vases with orchids, calla lilies, and more; $75 to $200.
• Other arrangements (such as BFF and Puppy Love), stuffed animals, and traditional red roses also available.
Tierra Florist (4961 Bethesda Ave., Bethesda; 301-951-0199)
Delivery charge starts at $12. Order before February 9 and receive 10 percent off and free Valentine’s Day delivery.
• A dozen roses arranged with other flowers and greenery of your choice; starting at $80.
• Custom arrangements with popular blooms such as hydrangeas, tulips, and orchids; $80 to $200.
Art With Flowers (1750-U International Dr., McLean; 703-903-6837)
• Pink and red spring-mix arrangement; $75 and up.
• A dozen four-foot-stem roses, $150; standard long-stem. $95.
• Custom bouquets; $100 and up.
• Perfumes, candles, massage oils, and other gifts available.
(2100 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Alexandria; 703-299-9000; the Pentagon Concourse; 703-695-0800)
Advance orders strongly recommended; prices in January will be lower than in February.
• A dozen long-stem roses, a large teddy bear, a box of chocolates, and a balloon; $129.95.
• A dozen imported Ecuadoran roses in a Lenox gift bag; delivered $139.95.
• 48 roses; delivered $299.95.
Enchanted Florist (139 S. Fairfax St., Alexandria; 703-836-7777)
Call to preorder or order for delivery. Delivery charge ranges from $12 to $40.
• Pave and long-stem assortments of unusual roses (such as the deep-purple, velvety Black Magic rose), a dozen for $125, 18 for $175, two dozen for $195.
• Order arrangements seen online or order custom arrangements.
Karin’s Florist (527 Maple Ave. E., Vienna; 703-281-4141)
• Order any arrangement on the Web site by February 7 (for pick-up or delivery) and receive 10 percent off. To redeem online use code WASH10.