The plaid: Tulip Overlay skirt, $26.00, Tulle4us.com
• Navy Alexandria Boyfriend Blazer, $69.50, Delia's
• Ashes Grey Goldie Slub V-neck, $16.50, Delia's
• Cognac Citrone Gladiator Sandal, $40, Aldo
• Cordovan Leather Town & Field Tote, $129, L.L. Bean
• Mixed-Metal Camera Necklace, $28, Urban Outfitters
• Metal Pyramid Stud Earrings, $12, Urban Outfitters
Budding fashionistas can embrace multiple fads while staying age- and school-appropriate in this cheeky mix-up of grays, navys, and neutrals. The relaxed fit of the boyfriend blazer, a solid investment for fall, lends a casual edge to an otherwise formal piece; plus, the extra coverage will extend the life of her summer dresses. Arty details, such as the tulip overlay of the Tulle mini-skirt, camera pendant, and gladiator sandals, keep the ensemble from looking like a school uniform. And we simply cannot say enough good things about the Town & Field tote. Nothing says “grown-up” quite like ditching the backpack for a roomy shoulder bag, and the sturdy material and make of this classic tote will carry her books well through college and her first internship. To personalize it without ruining the leather, tie favorite keychains, fabric strips, or scarves to the brass handle attachments.