After Hours Blog > Guides|Nightlife
Ten under $10
Penny pinchers, rejoice! Here are ten things to do this weekend for $10 or less.
2. Fort Reno, we barely knew ya—the 2009 season ends Thursday with performances by Title Tracks, Casper Bangs, and Grendel Babies. The music starts at 7:15 PM, and it’s free.
3. White boys can dance! Get your groove on with one of Washington’s funkiest bands, Poor But Sexy, which performs Thursday at 8:30 at DC9. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door.
4. Football season is right around the corner. Celebrate with the launch of the 2009/2010 Redskins-cheerleader calendar at Public Bar Thursday. Cheerleaders will participate in a fashion show, and there’ll be drink specials—sounds perfect. The entry fee is $10, and another ten bucks will get you a calendar.
5. The Freer Gallery will screen All About Women Friday at 7 and Sunday at 2. The movie, part of the gallery’s Made in Hong Kong Film Festival, chronicles three modern women chasing love. Free tickets, which are distributed two hours before the show or reserved in advance online (for a small fee), are required.
6. Enjoy a laid-back Friday evening in the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden with Dixie Power Trio, a Fredericksburg jazz group. The free concert starts at 5 PM.
7. Stroll along First Street, Northwest, on Saturday afternoon to the sounds of local bands at the First on 1st Art + Music Walk. Works by more than ten artists will be on display, and several bands will perform. Festivities run from noon to 4.
8. The Kastles season is over, but you can still watch some high-quality tennis when the Legg Mason Tennis Classic kicks off Saturday. Ten bucks gets you into the first qualifying round.
9. Fort Reno’s gotta pay the bills somehow, so Saturday night the Black Cat is holding a benefit concert with Run For Cover. Lucky for you, helping out is easy with a killer lineup of local bands playing covers of some of their favorite artists. The show starts at 9 and costs $10.
10. Pick up some cool stuff at DC9’s Binge and Purge rummage sale Saturday starting at 2. Stay for one of Washington’s best dance nights, called Kids. Entry is free before 10, with free forties. Cover is $6 after 10.