1. Z-Burger is hosting a burger-eating contest Thursday afternoon, and you’re invited to watch for free. You won’t go hungry, either—the restaurant is giving out free samples during the competition.
2. Get to know some of DC’s watering holes a bit better with the 10th Annual Midtown Liberty Bar Tour Thursday night. You’ll get discounts on food and drinks at 12 bars around DC’s Dupont Circle. Attendees are encouraged to come decked out in red, white, and blue. Remember to bring two canned-food donations to get a ticket for $10—otherwise, you’ll pay $13. Get advance tickets here.
3. On Thursday, Caddyshack is screening at DC’s Capitol Riverfront as part of the Best of the ’80s free film series. Wear an ’80s golf shirt and pretend you’re Tiger. The film starts at sundown (around 8:45).
4. Celebrate summer and check out some of Washington’s top DJs Friday night at the 9:30 Club’s Blisspop Summer Extravaganza, featuring DJs Tittsworth, Nadastrom, Will Eastman, and Dmerit. Tickets are $10.
5. BrightestYoungThings is throwing another camp-themed pool party on Saturday. This weekend it’s Fat Camp with bacon-flavored snacks and eating contests. Ten bucks gets you in all day. If utter gluttony doesn’t appeal to you, check out the Liaison Capitol Hill’s pool party on Sunday celebrating the grand opening of the hotel’s rooftop pool. You can get free admission from 1 to 3, but the party goes until 10. Cover will be $10 from 3 to 5 and $20 from 5 to 10.
6. There’s no better time to remember the birth of our country than the Fourth, so why not take a trip to the National Museum of American History? Learn all about the original Star Spangled Banner, the Declaration of Independence, and the Revolutionary War. Admission, of course, is free.
7. So over the fireworks thing? Check out Kids, a hip-hop dance night Saturday at DC9. Come before 10 PM, and you can score free entry and free Olde English beer. After 10, there’s a $5 cover.
8. The Rock & Roll Hotel’s free dance night, Mass Appeal, plays a bit of everything from dance-punk and pop to hip-hop and funk. Festivities start at 9:30 on Saturday in the upstairs bar.
9. We’re assuming you’ll probably indulge on the Fourth, making yourself slightly less buoyant, but we hope you can keep your head above water at Whatever Floats Your Boat at Capitol Skyline’s pool on Sunday. Bring your most creative inflatable object and get floating at this rooftop pool party. Whoever brings the best float will win dinner for six at Good Stuff Eatery. The event costs $10.
10. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival continues this weekend and runs through Sunday on the Mall. Celebrate that whole “melting pot” idea our forefathers dreamed about.