4. Curious about contra dancing? Friday nights at Glen Echo Park, folk-dancing enthusiasts gather in the Spanish Ballroom for three hours of dancing and live music. From 7:30 to 8:15, beginners can take a lesson to learn the steps; advanced dancers join the mix at 8:30. Admission is $9.
5. With rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future (sigh), this weekend might be a good time to check out Washington’s National Aquarium in the Department of Commerce. The place might not be as impressive as its Baltimore counterpart, but it houses more than 200 animal species and includes exhibits on American freshwater ecosystems, the Amazon River Basin, and more. The aquarium is open from 9 to 5 daily, but try to come around 2, when the animals are fed. Tickets are $7 for adults and $3 for children ages 2 to 10; kids under 2 are free, and discounts are available for seniors and military.
6. The Rock & Roll Hotel’s Epic Dance Party is on Friday night at 9:30. DJ Doc Rock will spin electronica, indie rock, and hip-hop. The event is free, but you have to be 21 or older to get in.
7. Lawyers from Washington firms will trade briefcases for electric guitars Thursday night for Battle of the Law Firm Bands at the Black Cat. Bands from Patton Boggs, Latham & Watkins, and other well-known firms will duke it out for the win by competing for donations. The band that raises the most money by the end of the night will be crowned winner. Proceeds will benefit the nonprofit Gifts for the Homeless. The event has a $10 cover. Doors open at 7.
8. On Saturday from 1 to 8, Arlington’s Columbia Pike Blues Festival is back for its 14th year. Five bands will perform while you enjoy food, beer, arts and crafts, kids’ activities, and more. Admission is free.
9. Bohemian Caverns’ free funk-and-soul dance party, Fatback, is on tap this Saturday night. The goal: to get every person in the place to clap in unison. Add your hands to the cause starting at 10.
10. Ladies, head to the Penn Quarter outpost of Capitol City Brewing Company on Thursday night for half-price martinis and wine by the glass. The ladies’ night specials run from 4 to 8.
More>> After Hours Blog | Arts & Events | Happy Hour Finder | Calendar of Events