Best Bites Blog > Events
Critics’ Picks: 25 of Our Favorite Vegetarian Dishes
We round up our favorite veggie dishes from menus around town.
Our British colleague, cook extraordinaire Sophie Gilbert, alerted us to the fact that it’s National Vegetarian Week. “Excellent,” we thought, pondering our many favorite meat-free dishes (For most of us, the first two works that came to our minds were palak chaat—the crispy spinach at Rasika is the stuff of meat-free dreams). And then we learned it’s only National Vegetarian Week in the United Kingdom.
Well, as they say across the pond, no bother. It’s also Meatless Monday, so whether you’re a vegetarian, a UK expat, or just want to sample some tasty veggie fare, here are some of our top picks.
Todd Kliman, food and wine editor
• Spicy roasted tofu with basil at Bangkok 54.
• Spicy lemongrass tofu at Rice Paper.
• Cacio e pepe—black pepper and Romano pasta—at Fiola.
• Composed seasonal vegetable salad with goat yogurt and cardamom at Ripple.
• Masala dosas at Woodlands.
• Grilled vegetable gratin with fontina cheese, couscous, and grilled vegetables at the Atlas Room.
• Portobello “diablo” at Ray’s the Steaks.
Ann Limpert, food and wine editor
• Cabbage cakes with ginger, curry, and mustard seeds at Rasika.
• Ricotta with toasted honey and chives at Bibiana.
• White gazpacho at Jaleo.
• Veggie burger at Woodmont Grill.
• Scrambled eggs with goat cheese and mushrooms at Estadio.
• Chilaquiles at Alegria.
• Cucumber salad with dill, honey, and yogurt at Leopold’s Kafe.
• Fried watercress at Elephant Jumps.
Jessica Voelker, online dining editor
• Lassoni corn palak—creamy spinach with corn tempered with garlic—at Masala Art.
• Avocado and pistachio bruschetta at Cork.
• Arance salad—orange slices with walnuts, Parmesan, olives, and balsamic dressing—at Haven in Bethesda.
• Market salad at Lyon Hall.
• Blistered peppers at Estadio.
Anna Spiegel, assistant food and wine editor
• “Faux” carbonara with pickled ramps, smoked ricotta, and a poached egg from Ardeo + Bardeo.
• Caramelized tofu tacos with spicy kimchi slaw from the Takorean food truck.
• Goat cheese and beet mountain pie at Mintwood Place.
• Dal panchrattan—a mix of five lentils—at Masala Art.
• Tomato gazpacho from Chris’ Marketplace (at local Freshfarm markets).
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Best Bites Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Best Bites Blog