• Tuesday night’s episode of the Food Network’s Throwdown With Bobby Flay (premise: celebrity chef challenges hometown chefs to a cookoff of their own signature dish) was set here in DC and featured a moules frites battle between Flay and Granville Moore’s chef Teddy Folkman. We’d heard murmurs about this ever since the show was filmed months ago, but everyone involved was sworn to keep mum on the outcome. Now that the episode has aired, we can provide this spoiler: Folkman’s bleu-cheese-and-bacon mussels beat out Bobby’s (predictably) Southwestern-flavored dish. The judges were local blogger couple Jason Storch (DCFoodies.com) and his wife, Amy Storch (Amalah.com). Check out Amy’s reflections on the experience, complete with a little inside info about the not-so-blind tasting.
• Metrocurean alerts us to a new go-to happy hour for cheese lovers at the recently relocated Corduroy. Happy hours at the old Corduroy were always a great deal, but who wanted to go hang out at that airport-loungey Sheraton? The new brownstone location is a much nicer backdrop for $6 wines by the glass and a $7 cheese plate every weekday from 5 to 7.
• Finally! Some news from Jonathan Krinn, the former 2941 chef who left more than a year ago to pursue his own restaurant. The Washington Post’s Tom Sietsema reports that it’s finally going to happen: Krinn and business partner Jon Mathieson, also a former 2941 cook, will open Inox in McLean. The wine list should be something to look forward to: New Heights chef and major oenophile John Wabeck will leave his current post in August to serve as Inox’s wine director.
• In the mood for a cupcake while shopping for your wedding dress? Georgetown bridal salon Hitched has jumped on the city’s cupcake mania and launched its own line of cupcakes this week. Baltimore Cupcake Company is making the treats especially for the store, where they can be purchased to go or custom-ordered. With flavors like toasted-marshmallow, Key lime, and coconut-framboise, maybe crowds from jam-packed Georgetown Cupcake will start making their way up Wisconsin Avenue for a fix.
• More sweet news: Apples and Bananas spotted a “coming soon” sign for IceBerry, yet another tart-and-tangy frozen-yogurt emporium, in Georgetown. And the Washington Business Journal reports that Baltimore’s delicious Pitango gelato will set up shop in Dupont Circle and Reston Town Center.
More Best Bites Blog News
More>> Best Bites Blog | Food & Dining | Restaurant Finder