Best Bites Blog > What We're Reading
Offal Puns, an Olympic-Size McDonald’s, and Nora Ephron’s Best Food Quotes: Eating & Reading
Every week, we’ll let you know what the Washingtonian food staff is reading in the blogosphere and off the bookshelves.
Ann Limpert, food and wine editor
• Meet the Innard Circle, a pun-loving band of offal fiends who delight in things like camel eyeballs and rigatoni alla pajata— “the intestines of a freshly slaughtered nursing calf still containing the curdled milk of its mother.” Your move, Bourdain. ‘Innard’ Circle Eats All Kinds of Offal Food
• In accordance with all the PR-manufactured food holidays out there (National Grilled Cheese Day! National Pie Month!), Food Republic has come up with ten they’d like to see celebrated, such as the Olsen Twins’ Favorite Foods Day (espresso, gum, powdered sugar). 10 Made-Up Food- and Drink-Related Holidays We’d Like to See
Tanya Pai, deputy managing editor
• This is what the apocalypse looks like. World’s Largest McDonald’s At London Summer Olympics Readies For July 28 Opening (PHOTOS)
• In more McDonald’s news, this video of how a Quarter Pounder gets camera-ready is super interesting. If only so much care went into the burger you actually have to eat. Watch McDonald’s Make a Supermodel out of a Quarter Pounder
• And finally, an inspiring story about selfless men and women who are helping astronauts avoid that most dreaded of space afflictions: menu fatigue. Space Food Taste Testers Chosen for Astronaut Mission to Mars
Jessica Voelker, online dining editor
• Come on, people. How Could ANYONE Boycott A Cookie?!
• “I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them.” HuffPo rounds up great stuff Nora Ephron said about food. RIP. Nora Ephron’s Most Memorable Food Quotes
• This changes everything. Help for the Gooey-Fingered