Capital Comment Blog > Guest List
Guest List: Today’s Newsmakers
The Washingtonians in headlines today we’d like to have dinner with tonight
• Gibby Dean. The president of the Chesapeake Bay Commercial Fishermen’s Association is worried after his members got hit with a terrible rockfishing season, done in by poachers and poor weather. We’d love to know how to cut down on waste from confiscation and poaching while eating local fish to support a local industry.
• Albert Small. The real-estate developer is giving a huge collection of Washingtoniana to George Washington University—and kicking in $5 million for a new museum at the university and the renovation of Woodhull House, a 156-year-old historic home. The District’s rich history sometimes gets lost in the political events that happen here. We’re glad Small is laying down a marker in favor of his hometown’s own stories.
• Tracy Lesky. The research entomologist is helping scientists across the region find a way to combat the stink bugs that are terrorizing Maryland—and could drive up food prices by decimating local crops. They’re trying everything from insecticide to sending Asian wasps after the stink bugs.
• Allen Sessoms. The president of the University of the District of Columbia somehow managed to take a flight to Boston that cost $1,443 as well as a $7,952 flight to Cairo, not to mention a family vacation to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, for which the school picked up the tab, according to records obtained by Fox 5. We’re sure the university’s board will have some questions, but we’re happy to introduce Sessoms to Orbitz. If you’re going to take ridiculous expense-account trips, at least make them look less ridiculous by snagging a bargain!
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog