Some Barbie fun facts:
Did you know?
• Barbie was created by Ruth Handler, who was inspired by her daughter Barbara’s fascination with teenage life and love of paper dolls. The doll was unveiled to the public on March 9, 1959, at the New York Toy Fair as “Barbie® the Teen-Age Fashion Model.”
• Barbie’s real name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, and she hails from Willows, Wisconsin.
• The best-selling Barbie of all time was 1992’s “Totally Hair” Barbie, who had hair down to her toes.
• Barbie has been outfitted by more than 70 famous designers and 146 fashion designers.
• 15 fine artists work on each doll.
• For several decades, Barbie lacked a belly button.
• Barbie has had more than 100 careers, including American Airlines Flight Attendant (1961), Professional WNBA Basketball Player (1998), and American Idol Winner (2005).
• Barbie has a host of friends, including on/off boyfriend Ken, Midge (best friend), Skipper/Tutti/Stacie/Kelly/Krissy (sisters), Todd (brother), MOD Francie/Jazzie (cousins). She also has gal pals Christie, Theresa, Kira, Kayla, and Becky.
• In 2004, Barbie created national headlines by breaking up with Ken after 43 years. Supposedly, he wants her back.
• The first Barbie cost only $3. (Psst, the second Barbie ever made is at the convention, too—see if you can spot her!)
• 300,000 Barbies were sold in the first year.
• Barbie dolls represent more than 50 different nationalities.
• The most expensive Barbie sold to date went at auction for $27,450.
More>> Capital Comment Blog | News & Politics | Society Photos