Well+Being Blog > Fitness
Update: Nike Women’s Half Marathon Registration Now Open
Runners are waiting to snag a spot in the highly anticipated inaugural DC race.
Ever since Nike Running announced it would be hosting a women’s half marathon here in Washington, we’ve been anxiously waiting for the registration date to be announced.
It hasn’t been officially confirmed by Nike, but word on the street is that registration opens tomorrow, according to some rumblings on the race’s official Facebook page and a newsletter sent out by Potomac River Running. A tweet from the official Nike Running Twitter account said to be on the watch for more registration details on the Facebook page this week.
The much-anticipated half marathon is scheduled for Sunday, April 28, 2013, and benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. It’s the inaugural race and has 15,000 slots for runners. The registration is a lottery system, so there’s a chance you might not make it into the race.
Still, if the success of Nike Running’s past San Francisco marathons are any indication, it’s still worth trying to snag a spot. Participants (both men and women are welcome) receive a Tiffany & Co. necklace, a recycled Nike sweat-wicking T-shirt, and access to a three-day expo at Georgetown’s Washington Harbour.
The catch? The fee is $160, and there’s that lottery system.
One way to make sure you snag a spot is by joining one of Leukemia & Lymphoma’s teams in training and fundraising for the society. Beginning tomorrow, you can find out more information on spring training for the half at the following informational meetings:
- Wednesday, November 14, 6:30 PM, at Silver Spring Library (8901 Colesville Rd., Silver Spring)
- Wednesday, Nov. 14, 7 PM, at Potomac River Running (20630 Ashburn Rd., Ashburn)
- Thursday, November 15, 6:30 PM, at Bethesda Regional Library (7400 Arlington Rd., Bethesda)
- Saturday, November 17, 10 AM, at Road Runner Sports (1120 West Broad St., Falls Church)
- Tuesday, November 27, 7 PM, at Marymount University (Ballston 507: 1000 North Glebe Rd., Arlington)
- Tuesday, November 27, 7 PM, at Fleet Feet Sports (255 Kentlands Blvd., Gaithersburg)
- Wednesday, November 28, 6:30 PM, at Woolly Mammoth Theatre (41 D St., NW, DC)
Check back here for more information on registering for the Nike Running Women’s Half. We’ll continue to update as we find out more information.
Update: Late this afternoon Nike Women’s Marathon updated its Facebook page with the following announcement—“Random Draw, college. and group registration will open later this week. Don’t miss the opportunity to be a part of the first ever NWM Half in DC and help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as we team up to improve the quality of life of their patients and families.”
Update 11:50 AM, Friday: Two days after expected, both individual and group registration is open for the half marathon. Register at Nike Women’s Marathon Half official website until December 6 at 6 PM. Those who get into the random draw will be notified via email between December 10 and 14.