Well+Being Blog > Healthy Recipes
Recipe: Fresh Fish Tacos With Edamame and Peppers
Healthy and delicious, these are packed with fresh vegetables and heart-healthy fats.
Did spring break get you hooked on fish tacos like it did us? While you may not be able to go back to that taco stand on Isla Mujeres anytime soon, you can re-create the festive flavors with local dietitian Heather Calcote’s recipe. She packed in fresh veggies and lean protein, making this a quick and healthy dinner that’ll help you get ready for bathing suit season.
Adding edamame is a nontraditional twist that provides an extra source of lean protein as well as lots of fiber and iron. In addition to being a great source of fiber and vitamins C and K, the avocado provides a dose of heart-healthy fats.
This version uses tilapia, a flaky white fish that is generally less expensive to buy, but you can substitute mahi-mahi or another white fish.
Yield: 4 servings (8 tacos)
Nutrition per serving: 400 calories, 15.4 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 38.9 grams carbohydrates, 10.8 grams fiber, 6.3 grams sugar, 29.4 grams protein
4 tilapia filets
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
½ cup steamed edamame beans
1 ripe avocado, sliced
Salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
8 corn tortillas
1) Set aside sliced peppers, steamed edamame, and sliced avocado for your taco-building buffet.
2) Season fish filets with cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
3) Heat oil over medium in a sauté pan; cook fish on each side for three to four minutes, until opaque and flaky.
4) Set oven to broil; heat corn tortillas for one to two minutes on each side (watch carefully, as they burn quickly).
5) Layer avocado, fish, peppers, beans, and salsa into the tortillas. Squeeze fresh lime over your taco to taste, fold, and enjoy.
Heather Calcote is a registered dietitian in DC. She blogs about nutrition, running and cooking at dietitianontherun.com.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Well+Being Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Well+Being Blog