Playlist is no longer available.
Wednesday, June 25
• Ann Arbor folk crooner Chris Bathgate, who has earned comparisons to Wilco’s frontman Jeff Tweedy, plays at DC9 as part of a folk lineup that includes Stella Schindler and Hezekiah Jones.
• Speaking of Hezekiah Jones (whose actual name is Raphael Cutrufello), “Cupcakes for the Army” is perhaps the saddest and most effective antiwar song we’ve heard in a while.
Friday, June 27
• More pop than folk, former Roxy model Tristan Prettyman’s song “Madly” is a breezy tune that evaporates as easily as it arrives. The San Diego native, who’s played alongside fellow pop/folk singer Jason Mraz, stops by Iota for a performance.
Sunday, June 29
• “My heart is thumping, I can feel it more with every beat,” Delta Spirit’s Matthew Vasquez hoarsely proclaims in “Trashcan.” Funny, that’s exactly how we feel when listening to this and some other tracks from the band’s forthcoming album, Ode to Sunshine. Delta Spirit plays at DC9.
• Opening the Delta Spirit show is A.A. Bondy, perhaps better known as Scott Bondy, the former frontman of the rock band Verbena. Since disbanding the group in 2003, Bondy has switched genres and now performs bluesy folk songs.
• Voxtrot fans might want to check out Austin synth-pop band Belaire’s show at the Red and the Black—Jason Chronis plays alongside singer Cari Palazzolo.