Avoiding additional sugars and satisfying the sweet tooth are no easy feats, especially in summer when Sunday-afternoon cookouts and ice-cream trucks are on the rise. Lucky for us, nutrition counselor Katherine Tallmadge shared this tasty salad recipe from her book, Diet Simple Farm To Table Recipes: 50 New Reasons to Cook in Season. Make a bowl for your next family cookout, or save a serving to bring to work.
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 Handfuls of fresh Kale (or other greens), washed, tough stems removed, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Cups Fresh Sliced Summer Peaches and/or any seasonal Berries
- 2 Ounces toasted slivered Almonds
- ½ Sweet Onion, peeled and sliced
In a large bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Add the kale, onion, almonds, and peaches and toss together. Serve immediately.
Katherine Tallmadge is a local personal nutritionist, author, speaker, and counselor.
Want more fitness news? Sign up for Washingtonian’s Well+Being newsletter, and get fitness tips from local pros, learn how to make delicious, healthy meals, and more.