• We’ve been waiting a while for Top Chef contestant and Good Stuff Eatery owner Spike Mendelsohn to open the pizza joint he promised us months ago. NBC Washington tells us that the restaurant—called We, the Pizza and located next door to Good Stuff—should start turning out pies (sold whole or by the slice) in mid-April. The menu also includes house-made gelato, Italian soda, and sandwiches.
• In unrelated Spike Mendelsohn news, Grub Street tells us he’ll take on Cleveland-based chef Michael Symon in the next new episode of Iron Chef America. Turn your TV dials to the Food Network on Sunday, March 7, at 9 PM to catch the fedora-topped Mendelsohn.
• In December 2008, we heard that Buddha Bar—a Paris-based international chain of swanky Asian/French-fusion restaurants—had signed a lease near the Washington Convention Center. In May, nearly 17 months later, it’ll open its doors—or at least that’s the plan, according to Missy Frederick of the Washington Business Journal. The restaurant will take up 9,400 square feet at 455 Massachusetts Avenue, Northwest.
• The Washington City Paper’s Tim Carman follows up his November news of Arlington’s Yaku closing with details on its replacement: Sushi Rock. The concept sounds like a cross between the Black Cat and Cafe Asia—in other words, a sushi restaurant that should “make people feel like they are onstage,” according to Tony Hudgins, a managing partner in the Public Group, which owns the business. Hudgins and his team plan to open in March.
• A Prince of Petworth reader noticed that Filter, a coffeehouse and espresso bar, will open soon in DC’s Dupont Circle.
• Capital City Cheesecake, a business started by two twentysomething sisters last year, found a storefront in Takoma Park. In April, they’ll start churning out their signature petite cheesecakes as well as cookies, cupcakes, homemade waffles, and bagels. Tim Carman has all the details on how Caitlin and Meaghan Murphy plan to use the three levels in the space, which used to be Savory Cafe.
Subscribe to Washingtonian
Follow Washingtonian on Twitter
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblogMore>> Best Bites Blog | Food & Dining | Restaurant Finder