Capital Comment Blog > Books|FLOTUS
Attention, Politics & Prose Shoppers: Michelle Obama Is Doing a Book-Signing
The First Lady plans to visit the Connecticut Avenue store next week.
Expect traffic congestion both inside and outside Politics & Prose book store next Tuesday morning. That’s when First Lady Michelle Obama plans to visit to sign copies of her book, American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America.
The signing is scheduled to begin at 11:15 AM, according to the White House. “Mrs. Obama accepted no advance for American Grown, and all author proceeds will go to the National Park Foundation, the official charity of America’s national parks,” her office noted in the announcement. “Funds will be used for programs that promote gardening and healthy eating and give young people the opportunity to experience the outdoors and lead more active lives, as well as for the continued care of the White House Kitchen Garden. Random House will also donate a portion of its profits to the National Park Foundation.”
If you plan to be there, here’s what you need to know, according to organizers of the signing:
- Books will go on sale at 9 AM at the store.
- One copy of American Grown may be signed per customer.
- No other books or memorabilia may be brought to the signing.
- Wristbands for entry to this event will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Wristbands will be limited to one per customer.
- Customers must complete a security screening form in person.
- Customers may not provide security information for other participants.
Any questions can be directed to the store at 202-364-1919. As for parking, the lot in the back fills up fast. Street parking does not open up until after rush hour. The nearest Metro stop is Van Ness, about a 15-minute walk from the store.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Capital Comment Blog