Capital Comment Blog > Guest List
Guest List: Today’s Newsmakers
The Washingtonians in headlines today we’d like to have dinner with tonight
• Jim Larranaga. Can magic happen twice? The last time the George Mason University men’s basketball coach took his team to the NCAA tournament, the Patriots made it all the way to the Final Four. Now they’re back with an at-large bid. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and hope we get to enjoy a long streak of local teams in the Big Dance.
• Keivette Hammond. Speaking of basketball, we raise a glass of Champagne to Frederick High’s girls’ basketball coach. When Hammond took over the program, the team eked out a single win her first season. Today they’re state champions in the Maryland 3A division. Victory comes in all shapes and sizes and on local and national stages, but we imagine this one is sweet.
• Glenn Ivey. The former Prince George’s County state’s attorney is about to become the most e-mailed man in Washington: He’s going to head an independent commission put together by Pepco and tasked with figuring out why the utility can’t keep the lights on when the weather gets bad. Keep an eye out for a final report by June 15.
• Bob Gerber. The Baltimore antiques-shop owner has found a new clientele: His religious-themed shop window has become a stopping-off point for immigrants who say their prayers outside his store. Baltimore has a tradition of eccentric storefronts, but it’s nice to see someone prove there can be a higher purpose to commerce.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog