Capital Comment Blog > Local News
Andrew Sullivan Announces He’s Homesick for DC, Plans to Return
One year in New York bummed out the blogger.
The always-quotable Andrew Sullivan has come forth today to provide a perfect end note to the week in the form of a valentine to Washington. The political commentator, author, and blogger moved to New York City a year ago, but it hasn’t worked out. He says he loved New York “until I tried to live here.” Friday he announced he’s moving back to DC. He starts his blog post with a video of Kermit the frog singing, “New York, I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down.”
Among other things, this is what Sullivan misses most:
• “I miss my DC apartment (1,500 square feet of a school classroom I got for a steal in 1991).”
• “I miss my friends.”
• “I miss the relative calm; I miss the green; I miss the increasing vibrancy of the city.”
• “I miss the oases of quiet and the energy of a new emerging city that is both a second Brooklyn and a global hub of media and politics.”
• “I realize I’m married to Washington, and it’s best for me to think of New York as a mistress.”
Well, welcome back, Andrew, and if you decide to give up media you probably have a lock on a career as a realtor.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Capital Comment Blog