Well+Being Blog > Healthy Recipes
Healthy Recipe: Low-Fat Chia Seed Brownies
Swap the oil for chia seed gel to give these brownies a healthy dose of omega-3s.
We love chia seeds for a wealth of reasons: The tiny seeds provide energy surges for athletes, they contain even more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon, and they’re a healthy addition to baked goods.
Local dietitian Carlene Thomas’s chia seed brownie recipe is simple and delicious proof. Just swap chia gel for oil when making your favorite boxed mix, and you’ll have a sweet treat with an extra-healthy kick.
1 box brownie mix
⅓ cup chia seeds + 1 tablespoon chia gel
2 tablespoons water
1) Preheat oven according to package directions. Make chia gel by combining ⅓ cup of dried chia seeds and 2 cups of water in a plastic container with a top. (You’ll have extra gel that can last up to two weeks). Shake, then wait 3 minutes for a gel to form.
2) Combine brownie mix, eggs, chia gel, and 2 tablespoons water in a mixer or bowl. Mix until ingredients are combined.
3) Empty batter into baking dish. Consult box for appropriate baking time, but note that these tend to be done about 3 minutes early.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Well+Being Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Well+Being Blog