These kennels were voted top for quality by readers of Washington Consumers’ Checkbook, by Washingtonians who took our online poll, or by experts.
Those marked with an asterisk (*)received Checkbook’s top mark for low prices. Those marked with • provide pickup and delivery for an extra charge.
Alexandria Animal Hospital, 2660 Duke St., Alexandria; 703-751-2022; alexandriaanimalhospital.com. Offers boarding to clients who have been with them at least six months.
Amberlyn Kennels, 10508 Daysville Rd., Walkersville; 301-898-3106; amberlynkennels.com. The owners live on the property.
• Anchors Kennel, 17810 Indian Head Hwy., Accokeek; 301-283-2626; anchorskennels.com. On 22 acres 15 minutes south of the Beltway.
Buckeystown Veterinary Hospital, 3820 Buckeystown Pike, Buckeystown; 301-698-9930; buckeystownvet.com. Boarding options include playtime.
Country Club Kennels & Training, 10739 Bristersburg Rd., Catlett, 540-788-3559; 9394 Pine Glade La., Locust Grove, 540-854-6000; countryclubkennels.com. On 45 acres in Fauquier County.
The Country Kennel, 5718 Ridge Rd., Mount Airy; 301-831-7766; countrykennel.com. Indoor/outdoor run space and piped-in 24-hour music.
• Countryside Kennels, Boyds Turn Rd., Owings; 301-855-8308; countrysidekennels.com. Individual shaded outdoor runs in addition to climate-controlled indoor rooms. Large play area for cats.
* Deepwood Veterinary Clinic,7300 Ordway Rd., Centreville; 703-631-9133; deepwoodvet.net. Private “luxury” rooms in addition to standard indoor/outdoor runs. Accommodations for exotic pets.
Dulles Executive Pet Center, 44931 Lane Ct., Sterling; 703-709-1111; dullesexec.com. “Pet lounge” with sofas and cat hide-and-play areas.
• Dulles Gateway Pet Retreat, 4500 Upper Cub Run Dr., Chantilly; 703-631-9590; dullesgatewaykennels.com. Affiliated with Pender Veterinary Centre. Offers a pampered-puppy program with extra attention and fleece bedding.
* Gaithersburg Animal Hospital, 280 N. Frederick Ave., Gaithersburg; 301-948-2828. Medically supervised boarding.
Laytonsville Veterinary Practice, 5910 Sundown Rd., Gaithersburg; 301-948-0158; laytonsvillevetpractice.com. Individual dog playtime.
* • Mountain Run Kennel, 15467 Retriever Rd., Culpeper; 540-547-2961; mountainrunkennel.com. Dogs can stay in rooms with sofas. Exercise activities include a pond swim and Frisbee.
Old Mill Boarding Kennel, 91 Lawson Rd. SE, Leesburg; 703-777-4183; oldmillpets.com. The “cat loft” includes windowed condos and skylights.
* • Paws Awhile Pet Motel, 7353 Woodlawn La., Warrenton; 540-347-4855; pawsawhilepetmotel.com. Dogs from the same family can board together.
Perfect Pet Resort, 840 W. Bay Front Rd. (Rt. 258), Lothian; 410-741-0000; perfectpetresort.com. Outdoor walks for dogs; massage and acupuncture treatments available.
Pet Dominion, 15820 Redland Rd., Rockville; 301-258-0333; petdominion.com. Dogs sleep on lambskin beds.
Preston Country Club for Pets, 7363 Old Columbia Rd., Columbia; 301-596-7387. Staff personally handles all dogs when letting them outside.
Queen Anne Kennel, 17705 Queen Anne Rd., Upper Marlboro; 301-249-1210. On 15 acres with indoor and outdoor runs.
• Shady Springs Boarding Kennels and Camp for Dogs, 1001 Hoods Mill Rd., Woodbine; 301-924-4457; shadyspringkennels.com. Provides pickup and drop-off service in DC and parts of Carroll, Montgomery, Howard, and Baltimore counties.
* Springfield Animal Hospital, 6580 Backlick Rd., Springfield; 703-451-1995; springfieldah.com. Boards exotics such as birds and hamsters.
Sunchaser Kennels, 13416 Liberty Rd., Libertytown; 301-898-3198; sunchaserkennels.com. Dogs can move freely between indoor and outdoor runs.
VCA University Veterinary Clinic, 10681 Braddock Rd., Fairfax; 703-385-1054; vcauniversityva.com. Also offers full medical services.
* Village Veterinary Clinic, 9544 Burke Rd., Burke; 703-978-8655. Dogs are walked outside three times a day.
Waggin’ Tails Junction, 10035 Dean Dr., Manassas; 703-361-7550; waggintailsjunction.com. Also offers daycare and training.
* Woodbridge Animal Hospital, 2703 Caton Hill Rd., Woodbridge; 703-897-5665; woodbridgeanimalhospital.vetsuite.com. Dogs are walked individually at least three times a day.