The Presidential Inaugural Committee today announced the honorary cochairs for the inauguration. Expected picks include former presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter, but a few first-timers cropped up on the list, too.
Among those given the title—and a coveted front-row seat at the swearing-in—is DC mayor Adrian Fenty, who’s been publicly endorsing Obama since July 2007. Craig Robinson, Michelle Obama’s brother, made the list, probably becoming the first basketball coach ever to be given the honor. And Barack Obama’s half-sister, Dr. Maya Soetoro-Ng, will also be attending.
Here are the other honorary cochairs for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration:
• Senator Dick Durbin
• Senator Dick Lugar
• Senator Claire McCaskill
• Representative Tammy Baldwin
• Representative Artur Davis
• Representative Ray LaHood
• Representative Linda Sánchez
• General Colin Powell
• Hunter and Kathleen Biden, Vice President-elect Joe Biden’s son and daughter-in-law.