After Hours Blog > Music
Every Tuesday, Listen Up! brings you songs of bands and performers coming through town in the next week. Listen up, then go check them out live.
This playlist is no longer available.
Tuesday, August 5
• Who’d turn down a free ticket to Gnarls Barkley’s concert at the 9:30 Club tonight? Sadly, me (using the first person singular because Catherine would NEVER do such a thing). Unable to extricate myself from previous commitments, I’m mourning my loss by including two songs from the duo’s The Odd Couple album on this week’s playlist.
• Tucson trio Mostly Bears may be best known for its loud drum-pounding and guitar riffs, but the song “Leda Atomica”—full of acoustic guitars and hand-clapping—shows the band is well-versed in the art of the charming pop song. Mostly Bears plays at the Red and the Black.
Friday, August 8
• The guys from These United States, alongside fellow local band the Apparitions, stop by Iota for a two-night gig celebrating the second anniversary of music blog Instrumental Analysis. Also playing tonight is the Cotton Jones Basket Ride. Bellman Barker opens the Saturday night show.
Monday, August 11
• Like Sufjan Steven’s “John Wayne Gacy, Jr.,” Brooklyn-based band Grizzly Bear’s cover of the Crystal’s “He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)” spooks the bejesus out of us. We’re aware of the song’s subject matter, but can’t help but feel captivated by its beautiful melody. Sick. The Grizzly Bears play at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in After Hours Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from After Hours Blog