Best Bites Blog > Food & Restaurant News
The Wrap-Up: The Week in Food
Every week we fill you in on what’s been going on in the food and restaurant world.
• Chef Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve is leading a campaign to improve school lunch at Tyler Elementary on Capitol Hill. Along with some of his peers (R.J. Cooper, Robert Weidmaier, David Guas), Armstrong is trying to recruit parents to help overhaul the cafeteria’s abysmal output. The effort comes on the heels of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! anti-childhood-obesity campaign and a Top Chef episode that challenged contestants to create healthy school meals. Armstrong was inspired after meeting with White House chef Sam Kass last fall.
• Tuesday, the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington and Destination DC announced the dates for this summer’s Restaurant Week: August 16 through 22. Lots of places offer $20.10 three-course lunches and $35.10 three-course dinners. Click here for our thoughts on where to make reservations. And if you have tips for fellow diners, let us know them here.
• Chef Robert Wiedmaier opened the doors to his fourth restaurant (he’s also behind Marcel’s, Brasserie Beck, and Brabo) this week, Mussel Bar in downtown Bethesda. Metrocurean snapped some photos of the place, outfitted with dark wood, wine bottles overhead, and an open kitchen. In addition to ten types of steamed mussels, the menu has wood-fired tarts, sandwiches, and raw oysters.
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblogMore>> Best Bites Blog | Food & Dining | Restaurant Finder
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Best Bites Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Best Bites Blog