• We got a press release Monday announcing that Mark Hellyar is now executive chef at Hook, a swanky seafood restaurant in DC’s Georgetown. Hellyar plans to infuse the menu with techniques and flavors from his last job as chef de cuisine at the Oak Door at the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. Before that, he held the same position at Blue Duck Tavern in DC’s West End. Hellyar—who will also tweak the menu at Hook’s sister property, Tackle Box—replaces Jonathan Seningen, who left right after January’s Restaurant Week.
• The Baltimore outpost of CakeLove closed its doors on Sunday, reports Missy Frederick of the Washington Business Journal. The store, which was in the Canton neighborhood, opened two years ago.
• Pupatella, the firetruck-red pizza cart parked near the Ballston Metro, is opening a brick-and-mortar shop at 5104 Wilson Boulevard, less than a mile west of the mobile location. Tim Carman noticed that the couple behind the operation is blogging their way through the building process, and they hope to open in the spring.
• For almost a year, we’ve been hearing rumors that Wagamama, a British-based noodle-shop chain, was planning on opening an outpost at 418 Seventh Street, Northwest. But Don Rockwell says a source told him the restaurant is not coming, and the space is up for lease.
• Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Snowpocalypse 2010 has already started to pummel Washington. Did you visit a grocery store and find empty shelves? Tell us about it here.
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblogMore>> Best Bites Blog | Food & Dining | Restaurant Finder