Capital Comment Blog > Guest List
Guest List: Today’s Newsmakers
The Washingtonians in headlines we’d like to have dinner with tonight
• Barbara Edmondson. The mother of four and veteran principal of the Gambrills-based School of the Incarnation will lead the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s school system. As she takes over one of the oldest Catholic-school networks in the country, Edmondson will have to think about how to revitalize a system that’s seen 28 schools close since 2000 and how to make Catholic schools count in the regional and national debate over education reform.
• James Light. The Blue Ridge farmer is part of an Agriculture Department experiment to get more people on the East Coast eating locally—specifically, eating broccoli that’s not trucked in from California. He’s part of a $5-million experiment to create a “broccoli corridor” between Florida and Maine. We’d love to have Light to dinner, especially if he’ll bring the vegetables.
• Fred Turck. The assistant director for resource protection at Virginia’s Department of Forestry is helping coordinate federal, state, and local efforts to stop the wildfires that raged across Virginia this weekend. The fires, the worst the state has seen in 50 years, burned out thousands of acres in Shenandoah National Park. They’re almost out now, but it’s fire season in Virginia all the way through April.
• Ean Williams. The executive director of DC Fashion Week, which is going on right now, has a fascinating pedigree—he’s worked on the Hubble telescope for NASA and as a network tester for Verizon. Washington has a famously square fashion reputation, but Williams is one of the people showcasing the region’s fashion talent and providing inspiration for Washington dressers who want to up their game.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog