News & Politics

Missed Connections: Questionable-Sanity Edition

Love strikes at Sticky Rice, over unicorns, and at the International Monetary Fund

By our estimates, the average Missed Connections participant has a screw or two loose. On a scale of one to Lady Gaga, most would land squarely in Liza Minnelli—in other words, in not-quite-deranged-but-not-normal-either territory. This week, however, we have some posters who have skyrocketed to Michaele Salahi levels of lunacy. Are these cries for help or just cries for attention? Perhaps a little of both.

Sticky Rice–m4w–41 (Chinatown)
Date: 2010-10-13, 2:48PM EDT

hi my name is billy myers how you doing today

i had the dinner at sticky rice the other night lawdy lawdy there was a womans there

this womans had on sandals of some sort, and a sunddress that reminded me of one that Athena would wear

lawdy lawdy i think that you was really cute, you was eating sushi and drinking beers

you should email me we can talk about things i enjoy, such things as will and grace, hall and oates singles (and which one was the cuter tee hee hee) and interesting facts about ships in the potomac

i have a good job, i work for a defense contractor

please email me i am ever so lonely and am nice man thank you
billy myers

It may look nonsensical now, but give this post a twangy backing track and ol’ Billy here could be a country superstar in the making.

phonebank tonight–m4m–23 (DC)
Date: 2010-10-13, 9:12PM EDT

I’m probably stupid to post this. . . Thought I got a smile out of you when we talked tonight. . . You’re cute and I presume from the setting that we have politics in common!

If you see this, send a description of you, me, or both.

Only in Washington . . .

lil lady with the baby unicorn–m4w–31 (arlington)
Date: 2010-10-13, 7:41PM EDT

I saw you in arlington waiting for the bus near columbia pike and south monroe. You wore a white shirt, with frilly things and tight jeans that showed off your veloptousness. To your right there was a lil blue unicorn and i asked about it. You said it was your lil unicorn used mainly for good luck and protection. You staired into my eyes, and i into yours. We chatted for hours about all types of things, like about the tasty tongue soup at El Migueleno Ranchero. Please remember, me, I had a jean jacket on with a sweet bandana around my wrist. I fell for you.

The spelling. The soup. The . . . unicorn? We don’t know where to begin, so we’ll leave it at that.

Life–m4w–33 (Mo Co)
Date: 2010-10-14, 1:51PM EDT

I missed my connection with life.

Warning bells are ringing. Step away from the computer. We repeat, step away!

Dnanakeviv Radnusmaihs–w4m–29 (Beltsville)
Date: 2010-10-13, 10:09PM EDT

looking for the man in the posting title. . . your name is spelled backwards =)

Backward or forward, it still makes no sense.

You: Cameraman Me: Reporter–w4m (NW DC)
Date: 2010-10-10, 12:03AM EDT

As the 2pm panel discussion prepared to get underway, I took my seat among the throng of eager economic reporters preparing for the latest IMF remarks. Out of habit, I scanned the room in search of familiar faces when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted you hidden behind your camera not far from the stage. You stood tall, handsome in your sharp, pressed suit and brunette goatee. As inconspicously as I could, I stole glances at you the entire briefing. My heart raced at the sight of you. My mind reeled as I tried to keep the blue laptop balanced on my lap and take notes in unison.
Your striking resemblence to someone I once loved, my first adolescent love, was uncanny. Your height, your weight, your stance, that look—so strikingly similar. My heart raced for those first few moments while I entertained the throught that you were perhaps the same boy to whom I had once pledged eternal, undying love before our paths diverged, as most young love inevitibly does.
And for those fleeting momets I was 18 years old again, giddy and wrought with nervous energy, sitting as calmly and as composed as I could while Strauss-Kahn discussed “currency wars.”
As any detailed photographer, I’m sure my double, triple and quadruple-takes did not go unoticed. I fought the impulse to introduce myself after the briefing only after I saw that silver band on your finger. It was only upon reflection that I realized it was actually worn on your right hand.
Although chances are slim that our paths will ever cross again, I want to thank you for resucitating that long-forgotten sensation I once knew in my adolescent love. Just one glance and I was transformed, albeit briefly.

Any guesses on where she works?

Follow Washingtonian on Twitter

More>> Capital Comment Blog | News & Politics | Party Photos

Don’t Miss Another Big Story—Get Our Weekend Newsletter

Our most popular stories of the week, sent every Saturday.

Or, see all of our newsletters. By signing up, you agree to our terms.
We engage readers directly in their mailboxes with topics like Health, Things to Do, Best Brunches, Design & Shopping, and Real Estate. Get the latest from our editors today.
Get The Best Of Washingtonian In Your Inbox!