Kate Nerenberg, assistant food and wine editor:
– Colman Andrews drew up a list of the people "who affect what and how and where and why we eat," including our very own José Andrés at number 24: America's 50 Most Powerful People in Food.
– An "only in the United States" moment: Starbucks' new Trenta-size cup is literally more than an adult human stomach can take: Starbucks Trenta, Illustrated.
– As someone who knows nothing about Hollywood, this article about food styling and Vince Vaughn was a rare peek into the movie world: Making a Mess Filming the Dilemma.
Ann Limpert, food and wine editor:
– The ever-hilarious Francis Lam deconstructs the menu from last night's state dinner: Hey, Obama, Pass the Spice!.
– S/he's great with the 140 characters on Twitter, but you gotta love RuBo uncut, thumb-cuffs, foie-a-thons, and all: Ask RuBo: Cell Phones at the Table, Neurotic Food Whims.
– Josh Ozersky explores umami, a.k.a. "palate Prozac": Umami: Why the Fifth Flavor Shouldn't Go it Alone.
Rina Rapuano, assistant food and wine editor:
– I got this for Christmas, and I really like the writing style and recipes: Eating: A Memoir by Jason Epstein.
– After the runaway success of Kitchen Confidential, one of the most foul-mouthed big personalities in food gives readers another look at restaurants and cooking: Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anothony Bourdain.
Denise Wills, features editor:
– DC city officials are trying to make sure restaurants are squeaky clean: Cheh Pushes Restaurant Hygiene.
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblog