Todd Kliman, food and wine editor:
• Florida farm workers fight for fair wages. Important reading: Fighting for Pennies: Tomato Protesters Battle Supermarkets.
• In case you think that organic is essentially meaningless, check out this report from Men's Health: organic ketchups contain two times the lycopene (a reputed cancer-fighting component) of non-organic ketchups: Stock Your Kitchen, Save Your Life.
• "Diners will be sitting in Chazz's dining room. Boom! One of my movies will come on. They'll be dining at Chazz, and then they'll see me on the screen. And then they'll look around, and Chazz Palminteri will be right there." Chazz Palminteri, the mugging, third-person-speaking character actor, tells the Baltimore Sun about his new restaurant, Chazz: A Bronx Original, coming soon: Actor Chazz Palminteri to Open a Restaurant in Harbor East.
Rina Rapuano, assistant food and wine editor:
• The new "darling of the natural-foods world" is an unlikely fat that's great with everything from shrimp to ice cream: Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World.
Sophie Gilbert, assistant editor:
• Couldn't have said it better myself. I wish I was this funny. "A bit like the Republican party, they are white, seemingly indestructible and bad for the environment." Republicans Recycle an Old Idea: The Foam Plastic Coffee Cup.
• I'm loving this New York Times story about elderly Americans who delight in defying their doctors and eating anything they want. French toast stuffed with bananas and Nutella for lunch? Sign me up: My Unhealthy Diet? It Got Me This Far.
• This, on the other hand, really grosses me out. And the fact that it's happening in London, my hometown, makes it even worse: Breast Milk Ice Cream Seized From London Store.
Ann Limpert, food and wine editor:
• What does Anthony Bourdain watch when he’s not catching up on Semi-Homemade With Sandra Lee?: Anthony Bourdain Serves Up His Favorite Foodie Films.
• We’ve heard about Wolfgang Puck’s Oscar dinners plenty—he’s done ‘em for 17 years—but Esquire’s behind-the-scenes kitchen photos give a whole new perspective: How Chef Wolfgang Puck Cooked for the Oscars.
Kate Nerenberg, assistant food and wine editor:
• Let's be honest: Who doesn't love to know what a Top Chef (and Top Chef runner-up) eats? Mostly I like this blog post for the candid-camera moment of the Voltaggio brothers in a post-barbecue-binge stupor: Voltaggio Brothers Incredible Barbecue Road Trip.
• Hilarious, grotesque, perverted, and all-around brillant, Twitter phenom @RuthBourdain announced that today is his/her one-year anniversary and asked the 26,000-plus followers how to celebrate. Responses ranged from EVOO jacuzzies to butter body shots with Paula Deen. Really, though, it's worth wasting your entire lunch hour on going through the responses on the @RuthBourdain feed.
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblog