Earlier today, DC Mayor Vince Gray vetoed the Large Retailer Accountability Act, a bill that would have required certain big-box stores—i.e., Walmart—to pay their workers starting wages of more than 50 percent above the District’s standard minimum wage. While the activists who backed the bill are disappointed with the mayor and are hoping the DC Council overrides the veto, Walmart is quite pleased with the development.
- 3 Walmarts under construction – 900
- 3 planned Walmarts – 1,125
- Retail stores around the planned Walmarts – 675
- Potential anchor tenants that have expressed heavy interest – 650
- Shops at Dakota Crossing – 300
- Walter Reed – 400
- St. Elizabeths – 300
ill raise its minimum wage?