Don’t have time for breakfast? Grab-and-go options are everywhere. Here are the tastiest– and sorriest- choices at the big chains. (All have multiple area locations except for Pret, which has eight in DC only.)
Grab one of these on-the-go options:
1. Chilled Swiss Oatmeal—yogurt with rolled oats, apples, currants, and bananas—at Corner Bakery: Crunchy, just sweet enough, and refreshing.
2. Blueberry muffin at Dunkin’ Donuts: Not the most refined pastry, but it’ll hit the spot in a pinch.
3. Ham, mushroom, egg, and Swiss cheese on multigrain bread at Potbelly: The sub chain puts out a fresh, nicely filling breakfast sandwich.
Not our top choices, but you’ll welcome to try:
4. Five-grain oatmeal at Pret: A pasty blend of quinoa, oats, and chia and flax seeds that tastes like penance.
5. Blueberry scone at Starbucks: 420 calories of leaden, dry dough.
This article appears in our March 2015 issue of Washingtonian.