News & Politics

What It’s Like to Be Told You Have Cancer—Kind Of

The author with three of her grandkids. “How could I complain?” Photograph Courtesy of Ann Cochran.

I have cancer—kind of. After routine blood work for a physical, my internist winced and told me my white-blood-cell count was elevated enough for a hematology referral. “At least he’s not an oncologist,” I said. His expression beat his reply—that hematology and oncology go hand in hand.

Because frightening test results often turn out to be insignificant, this news didn’t worry me much. Still, I gave mortality some thought. Assessing my life and given my age, 64, death wouldn’t be tragic. I have a wonderful family and am “La La” to six grandchildren. Like everyone, I’ve had tough breaks. My mom died when I was 26, and I’ve been divorced twice. I finally hit the marriage jackpot with Chuck. We share faith, travel, and good health insurance. I’ve volunteered in the White House and at Walter Reed. How could I complain if my time was up? With belief in a supernatural adventure ahead, I felt surprisingly peaceful.

When Chuck and I arrived to meet with Dr. Paul Thambi, our anxiety spiked as we saw, in huge letters, AQUILINO CANCER CENTER. Were we sure I had cancer? Too late—I’d crossed over. Dr. Thambi reminded me of Anderson Cooper: stylish, smart, gentle sense of humor. He explained my test results, praising my hemoglobin and platelets. The lymphoma I had was “most likely” nonaggressive. Determining the type would take more blood work, PET and CAT scans, a bone-marrow biopsy. I called the radiology center, anxious about feeling claustrophobic in the machines, and wondered about taking Valium beforehand. “Bring your Valium and take it here if you like,” a staffer said. “But don’t worry. We’re not putting you in a coffin or anything—it’s open.” I laughed.

As casual as I tried to be, I was a wreck the morning we went to hear the blood-work and scan results. Dr. Thambi presented possible bad news, but there was still a chance I had a “good” lymphoma. The bone-marrow biopsy would tell the tale. As he perused his schedule, I begged him to do it that day: “You made the mistake of telling me it would take you only five minutes. Please find five minutes today.” With a smile, he said no one had ever pleaded for this before. We could return in three hours.

What sounded like a horror show—extracting marrow and a bit of bone from the pelvis—turned out to be a non-event, mainly because the doctor patiently narrated every step. Nothing hurt. Lying on my stomach, pillow under my arms, I could have read my e-mail. The lymphoma did turn out to be nonaggressive (“indolent”) splenic marginal zone. Chances are that someday, symptoms or blood-test results will prompt well-tolerated treatment. Dr. Thambi promises “no hair loss, no nausea.” For now, I’ll live my life and schedule quarterly appointments. Monitoring aside, I’m not so different from anyone my age. A health problem may arise, and I’ll have to deal with it.

Two days after the biopsy, with Chuck away, I was to remove the bandage and make sure the site wasn’t irritated. Nervous, partly because it would be hard to see, I headed to the doctor’s office for assistance. No appointment, no problem. “You have support here,” the receptionist said. A nurse walked me back to the infusion area and, with a hug, told me everything looked fine. I exhaled and recorded a mental image of this place that I might frequent someday. It didn’t look so scary, but my steps into that room felt as momentous as a lunar landing.

I have cancer, but not today.

This article appears in the May 2017 issue of Washingtonian.

Don’t Miss Another Big Story—Get Our Weekend Newsletter

Our most popular stories of the week, sent every Saturday.

Or, see all of our newsletters. By signing up, you agree to our terms.