I’m looking for a position in: Accounting | Advertising | Art | Circulation | Custom Media | Editorial | Events and Marketing | Production | Web
Integrated Account Executive
Washingtonian magazine, the area’s award winning monthly lifestyle publication, is looking for a full time salesperson to join its team. Responsibilities include selling our print publications, digital products and event sponsorships. Candidate must have proven sales experience, excellent communication skills, and be a self-starter. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced and team-oriented environment. Knowledge of the local DC, Maryland, & Virginia market a plus. Compensation package will be commensurate with experience. Email cover letter (including compensation requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet and exceed sales goals monthly sales goals.
- Create and sell integrated media programs utilizing all platforms.
- Cold call & prospect for new customers-sales development of territory is critical.
- Identify the key advertising placement decision makers and initiate and pursue productive, consultative relationships.
- Build upon and service existing advertisers in your assigned territory.
- Develop and prepare sales proposals and custom marketing presentations for advertising clients.
- Attend networking, community, and client events providing a strong representation of the Washingtonian brand.
- Respond proactively to client requests for proposals, advertising information and materials.
- Analyze competitive set and develop formal “account plans” for top 25 prospects in territory.
- Execute and communicate weekly sales recaps to management.
- 3-5 years of print, digital, event sponsorship, and social media sales experience.
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate to a full range of clients – from small, local businesses to corporate accounts and advertising agencies.
- Experience using a sales CRM.
- Cold calling and negotiation skills.
- High competency in MS office, particularly PowerPoint & Excel.
- Ability to deliver strong presentations to a large group.
Deputy Art Director, Washingtonian
Washingtonian is seeking an imaginative, collaborative, and relentlessly ambitious deputy art director for its award winning creative department. For 55 plus years, the award-winning city magazine for the Washington, DC area has been a home for groundbreaking feature writing, essential service journalism, and arresting visual storytelling. Under the guidance of the Creative Director we’re looking for someone who can help us take the magazine to the next level.
• Responsible for our Front of Book and Back of Book sections as well as contributing to the Feature section
• Lead design for special issues including Washingtonian Weddings
• Creating layout options to inform final design of layouts for the issue
• Pitching and inspiring the creative team with new illustration, photographic, typography, social media ideas
• Collaborating with design, photo, edit and digital teams
• Manage and maintain creative intern position
• 10% other responsibilities coming up throughout the cycle of an issue
• 4+ years of professional experience in editorial design
• Strong multitasking + organizational skills+ communication skills
• Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InCopy and InDesign
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• A love and passion for editorial design, photography, illustration, and typography
Please send your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and samples (no larger than 10MB) or a link to your online portfolio to email@example.com with Deputy Art Director in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Washingtonian is seeking an imaginative, collaborative, and relentlessly ambitious designer for its award winning creative department. For 55 plus years, the award-winning city magazine for the Washington DC area has been a home for groundbreaking feature writing, essential service journalism, and arresting visual storytelling. Under the guidance of the Creative Director we’re looking for someone who can help us take the magazine to the next level.
- Responsible for our FOB sections as well as contributing to the BOB + feature sections
- Collaborating with design, photo and edit teams
- Lead for social media account
- 10% other responsibilities coming up throughout the cycle of an issue
- 1+ years of professional experience in editorial design
- Strong multitasking + organizational skills+ communication skills
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InCopy and InDesign
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- A love and passion for editorial design, photography, illustration, and typography
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and samples (no larger than 10MB) or a link to your online portfolio to Jason Lancaster at firstname.lastname@example.org with Designer in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Art Department Intern
Washingtonian is looking for a motivated Art Department intern for the summer semester. This intern will gain real-world experience working with the magazine’s creative team and will learn the ins and outs of producing a publication.
• Experience working with Adobe Suite, specifically InDesign and Photoshop.
• Intern must have or be working towards a degree in Graphic Design, Photography, or Illustration.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
• A keen eye for detail.
• Manage special projects as needed.
To apply: Email a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio/website to [email protected]
Application deadline is rolling.
Graphic Design & UX Specialist
The graphic design/UX specialist is responsible for the design and usability of Washingtonian‘s site, digital products, and newsletters. This hybrid role combines visual design with user experience. It is a collaborative position, working with editorial, events, marketing, and advertising teams while reporting into the web department. Washingtonian.com is the region’s premier lifestyle destination, helping area residents and visitors make the most out of their time in the nation’s capital.
- Design Washingtonian‘s site, digital products, newsletters, social graphics and more
- Create and maintain style guidelines and design system
- Design one-off graphics and mockups for editorial, advertising, social media, and business, as needed
- Guide design changes based off user testing and analytics results
- Work collaboratively with web developer to adjust designs for product release
- Illustrate design ideas using wireframes and process flows
- Research, gather and evaluate user requirements, with digital product director
- Stay up to date on tools, trends, and emerging technologies
- An understanding of responsive web design across platforms
- Strong visual design skills, using tools like the Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with user experience concepts, practices and tools
- Minimum 2 years of professional web design or UX/UI experience (media companies preferred)
- Solid communication, people and organizational skills
- Proven ability to design within a larger system
- Keen eye for user advocacy and careful use of design elements
- Hands-on experience with Google Analytics; other tools such as Chartbeat, Bitly a plus
- Also helpful: WordPress, data analysis with Excel, A/B testing with Google Optimize, Motion design with Adobe After Effects
BA/BS Degree or equivalent in design, a related discipline, or equivalent practical experience
Washingtonian is an equal opportunity employer, serving the diverse community of Washington, D.C., and its suburbs with reporting on the region’s food scene, personalities, and events. This is a full-time, exempt position. To apply, please send a résumé, portfolio and cover letter to email@example.com.
Social Media + Web Fellowship
Do you want to produce content that helps Washingtonians stay in the know about the newest restaurants, things to do, and cultural news? Are you eager to learn the ins and outs of social media management, content creation, and analytics?
Apply to Washingtonian’s paid social media + web fellowship!
The social media fellow is a self-starter with an appreciation for digital audiences and how they prefer to consume content. They understand that the perfect tweet is not the ideal Instagram caption and can adapt stories for different platforms. They are excited to find new and creative ways to promote and expand our journalism on social media.
- Pitch and produce content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok
- Assist social media producer in finding and repurposing archival stories
- Assist social media producer in the planning and execution of special project assignments
- Assist web producer in producing feature stories for the website and daily email content curation
The social media fellow will also have the opportunity to learn how to track social media analytics and make decisions based on that information.
- Available to work remote full time Monday through Friday
- Experience creating social content on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. TikTok experience is a plus.
- Sharp social writing skills
- Strong command of tone
- Ability to multitask and juggle priorities on deadline
- Knowledge of current social media trends and innovations is a must
- Basic video/photo/visual editing skills are a plus
- It is preferred that applicants live in the DC area but it is not necessary
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by November 15th at 11:59 p.m. EST. The fellowship will start in mid January and run through spring.
Fact-Checking and Data Entry Intern
Are you a college student/recent grad looking for hands-on experience in publishing, sales, and communication? Are you obsessed with accuracy and have a close eye for detail? Do you prefer picking up the phone to texting and emailing?
You’ve come to the right place. Washingtonian Custom Media—a division of Washingtonian Media Inc. – is looking for interns to help with fact checking, data entry, subscription renewals, and research on a special custom publishing project. You will work directly with communications, marketing, and media specialists to learn the ins and outs of the DC-area publishing industry.
- Fact-checking directory listings
- Managing editorial data through Microsoft Access
- Proofreading content for accuracy and consistency
- Renewing directory subscriptions
- Assisting custom media team with communications research and development
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated college
- Experience in sales strongly preferred but not required
- Experience in Access preferred but not required
This position is part time. Internship is paid at a competitive hourly rate. Internship will last through Spring of 2021.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please specify in the subject line: WCM Fact-checking and Data Entry Internship.
Application deadline is rolling. Seeking candidates to start February 2021.
Assistant Editor, Washingtonian Weddings
The Washingtonian Weddings assistant editor will assist the editor with writing and producing the Washingtonian Weddings bi-annual magazine, website, and social media channels, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Pitch and write stories for each issue of the magazine. Pitch and write daily stories for online, including advice, Q&A’s, design pieces, and real-wedding coverage.
- Manage the social media strategy for Washingtonian Weddings channels, ensuring posts reflect the Washingtonian Weddings tone, voice, and standards.
- Track social metrics and provide key insights in reports. Stay up-to-date on social media tools, trends, and emerging technologies.
- Occasional night or weekend work to cover Washingtonian Weddings branded events, in addition to industry events.
- Handle administrative duties for Washingtonian Weddings, including magazine mailings, questions about events and sponsorships, updating mailing lists and survey spreadsheets, and outward communication with couples, vendors, and editorial pitches.
- Collaborate with the events team to create copy and take an active role in shaping events
- Collaborate with digital team to reproduce and repackage Washingtonian Weddings print content for web.
- Minimum 2 years of professional writing experience (wedding content preferred)
- Working professional knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and how editorial sensibility translates to each platform
- Solid communication, people and organizational skills
- Keen eye for tone and careful use of language
- BA/BS Degree or other comparable training
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.