Assistant Photo Editor
Washingtonian magazine, located in Washington, DC, is currently seeking a motivated and talented full-time Assistant Photo Editor to join our art team. The ideal candidate will have the chance to make an impact on our award-winning suite of publications: Washingtonian magazine, Washingtonian Bride & Groom, and Washingtonian Welcome Guide. Please send your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and samples (no larger than 10MB) or a link to your online portfolio to Photo Director Anna Marina Savvidis at email@example.com with ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR in the subject line.
- Extensive and creative photo research for front of book and feature stories as needed
- Commissioning and producing front and back of book photography for the magazine including portrait, still life, conceptual, reportage
- Clearing rights and permissions for all images and talent, as necessary
- Gathering credit and caption information
- Working with design/production teams during the proofing process
- Sourcing and pitching new photographers, artists and photo essay ideas
- Contributing to the brand’s social media platforms
- Processing invoices and keeping track of budgets
- Additional administrative duties
- BA or BS degree along with 2+ years of professional experience in stock photography, photo journalism, or photo editing in a magazine, newspaper, or picture agency field
- VERY strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Understanding of usage rights and experience in negotiating image fees
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InCopy and InDesign
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced, deadline driven environment, a keen eye for detail
- Excellent communication skills and can communicate your ideas in a lively, collaborative environment
- Knowledge of copyrights, licenses, and permissions is a plus
- A love of photography and knowledge of all social media platforms
Integrated Account Executive
Washingtonian magazine, the area’s award winning monthly lifestyle publication, is looking for a full time salesperson to join its team. Responsibilities include selling our print publications, digital products and event sponsorships. Candidate must have proven sales experience, excellent communication skills, and be a self-starter. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced and team-oriented environment. Knowledge of the local DC, Maryland, & Virginia market a plus. Compensation package will be commensurate with experience. Email cover letter (including compensation requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet and exceed sales goals monthly sales goals.
- Create and sell integrated media programs utilizing all platforms.
- Cold call & prospect for new customers-sales development of territory is critical.
- Identify the key advertising placement decision makers and initiate and pursue productive, consultative relationships.
- Build upon and service existing advertisers in your assigned territory.
- Develop and prepare sales proposals and custom marketing presentations for advertising clients.
- Attend networking, community, and client events providing a strong representation of the Washingtonian brand.
- Respond proactively to client requests for proposals, advertising information and materials.
- Analyze competitive set and develop formal “account plans” for top 25 prospects in territory.
- Execute and communicate weekly sales recaps to management.
- 3-5 years of print, digital, event sponsorship, and social media sales experience.
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate to a full range of clients – from small, local businesses to corporate accounts and advertising agencies.
- Experience using a sales CRM.
- Cold calling and negotiation skills.
- High competency in MS office, particularly PowerPoint & Excel.
- Ability to deliver strong presentations to a large group.
Washingtonian magazine has an opening for a marketing designer and is seeking a motivated, knowledgeable, and hard-working candidate. The designer in this position will work with members of the advertising, marketing, and events departments to produce a range of graphic design projects.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Design and development of print and digital collateral for various departments.
- Conceptualize and execute custom branding for over 20 special events per year through use of advertisements, web ads, email campaigns, on-site event signage, invitations, and social media graphics.
- See custom print projects through all the way from conception to completion utilizing best and most cost effective printing techniques and design.
- Communicate marketing efforts through creation of monthly house-advertisements within Washingtonian Magazine and on washingtonian.com.
- Produce print and web advertisements for local and national clients.
- Exercise creative control over advertising department’s direct-mail efforts and design email templates using Mail Chimp.
- Hire outside vendors, paying close attention to quality and budget.
- Maintain Washingtonian’s brand image and brand guidelines through implementation and correction.
- Create and generate awards for Washingtonian’s “top” lists.
- Assist onsite with event signage tasks and setups.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of related experience
- High competency in Adobe Suite especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Familiarity with social media and digital marketing platforms
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Vision for strong creative designs
- Ability to adhere to brand standards and guidelines
The ideal candidate will be organized, self-motivated, have a positive attitude, and will possess good verbal and written communication skills. All design work will be completed in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and MailChimp. Knowledge and experience with animated ads and web design is preferred but not required. Knowledge of printing processes preferred. Please send resume and portfolio (link or PDF under 10 MB) to Laura Mullen at email@example.com. Applicants should be prepared to attend an in-person interview.
Are you caught—or about to be caught—somewhere in that treacherous valley between freshly minted college graduate and full-time journalist, where clips at a magazine like ours are the climbing shoes you need to get up the mountain ahead of you? Or are you at least a rising college senior with a few solid clips and, ideally, previous media internship experience?
Are you looking for the chance to write and report in the nation’s capital? Do you want to be surrounded by professionals who take journalism seriously but also like to have fun and swap ideas?
Does incomprehensible-to-outsiders corporate-speak make your insides twirl as though Lloyd Blankfein himself is stirring them from his throne at Evil HQ? Can you get fired up every day about at least one of our coverage areas: Washington news and politics, dining, lifestyle, travel, etc.?
Are you willing to, some weeks, fact-check stories to the point of unequivocal accuracy and look dead into an editor’s eyes and say “all clear”? Are you willing to check your ego at the door and occasionally work shifts at the reception desk and help out at events, knowing that doing so is just another step on the ladder to greatness?
If this sounds like a fit, we offer an experience that’s low on grunt work and high on opportunity. Graduates of our program have gone on to publications such as Vanity Fair, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, National Geographic, Allure, Smithsonian and USA Today (and have landed full-time jobs at Washingtonian).
The positions are 40 hours a week for four months in the fall, five months in the spring, and three months in the summer, with possible extensions for standout fellows. The pay is $13.25 per hour.
- Fact-checking and research.
- Enterprising fellows will find many opportunities to pitch and write for the magazine and the website.
- Will have the opportunity to meet with editors, writers, and heads of department over the course of the program to discuss their roles at the magazine and their careers in journalism.
- Position reports to Assistant Editor Jackson Knapp. To apply: Please send a cover letter, résumé, three writing samples, and a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should specify term (spring/summer/fall) for which they are applying.
- Spring (January-May): November 1
- Summer (June-August): March 1
- Fall (September-December): July 1
Washingtonian Bride & Groom Internship
Washingtonian Bride & Groom magazine, Washingtonian’s bi-annual weddings magazine, is offering internship opportunities for 2018’s summer and fall semesters.
- Posting 2-3 weddings posts a week that cultivate Washingtonian Bride & Groom’s brand and playful, yet high-end, perspective.
- Collaborate on social media including drafting copy for Instagram and posting on Facebook and Twitter.
- Introduce additional wedding content to the blog in the form of advice, Q&A’s, design pieces, and additional creative real wedding coverage.
- Opportunity to pitch and write articles for the Winter/Spring 2019 print publication.
- Handle some administrative duties for Bride & Groom including magazine mailings, questions about events and sponsorships, updating mailing lists and survey spreadsheets, and pitches.
- Work to meet marketing and events needs for on-brand copy.
- Work with the web team to produce and repackage Bride & Groom’s front of book and real weddings for the web on schedule.
- Experience required: Junior year or above pursuing a degree in Journalism, English, Communications or a similar field. Familiarity with Photoshop, WordPress and SEO, and an interest in working in lifestyle content is required. At least one prior internship writing for a publication. References required. Bridal experience a plus.
Position reports to Editor Amy Moeller and Associate Editor Hayley Garrison Phillips.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, résumé, three writing samples, and a list of references to email@example.com. Applicants should specify term (summer or fall) for which they are applying.
Washingtonian magazine offers internship opportunities for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. During their time at the magazine, our interns gain real-world experience in the industry by working on timely projects in various departments.
Advertising interns will learn the ins and outs of outside and inside sales at a magazine. He/she will experience how a magazine advertising department works, will learn how to make successful cold calls, research and assist in building new database lists, assist the sales reps in research for new ad sections, create spreadsheets, accompany sales reps out on the road to gain hands-on experience, and immerse themselves with the team. You will occasionally work shifts at the reception desk and assist the Marketing department when Washingtonian holds events. Interns must also be available to attend multiple events outside of normal working hours, including nights.
Advertising interns must be detail oriented, organized, and enthusiastic. We are looking for hard-working and outgoing candidates who are able to work independently and demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills.
Past advertising experience is helpful but not required.
Internships are paid. The pay is $12.50 per hour. In lieu of payment, you may receive academic credit.
To apply: Send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in subject line: Advertising Internship. You can also mail them to: Washingtonian, attn: Advertising Department, 1828 L St NW Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.
- Spring (January-May): November 1
- Summer (June-August): March 1
- Fall (September-December): July 1