Where to get help for Alcohol and Drug Abuse

Here are some of the area’s resources for those seeking help with alcoholism or substance abuse.

For a fuller list of resources, visit the Web sites of local departments of mental health:

Maryland: maryland-adaa.org/resource

Virginia: dmhmrsas.virginia.gov

DC: dmh.dc.gov/dmh



Full-time, residential care with 24-hour medical supervision is most often found in hospitals or traditional 28-day facilities.

Father Martin’s Ashley, Havre De Grace, Maryland; 800-799-4673; fathermartinsashley.com. 28-day residential program that has provided services to more than 40,000 adults since its opening in 1983.

Psychiatric Institute of Washington, 4228 Wisconsin Ave., NW; 202-885-5610; psychinstitute.com. Inpatient treatment facility for substance abuse for children, adolescents, and adults.

Second Genesis, 301-563-6527; secondgenesis.org. A residential program helps women receive treatment while still living with their children; others treat dual-diagnosis disorders. Adolescent and adult outpatient care is available at facilities throughout the metropolitan area.

Caron, Wernersville, Pennsylvania; 800-678-2322; caron.org. Caron, formerly known as Chit Chat, is a residential and outpatient facility three hours west of DC. Treating both adolescents and adults for alcohol and drug dependencies in gender-separate environments, Caron also has educational programs for family members. A secondary campus is in Boca Raton, Florida.

Intensive Outpatient

Involves three or more hours of care for a minimum of three days per week; can involve escalating degrees of monitoring.

Kolmac Clinic, 301-589-0255; locations in Columbia, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, and Washington; kolmac.com. These adult outpatient and intensive outpatient clinics have treated patients using ambulatory detox and dual-diagnosis since 1973. They accept almost all private insurance.

Addiction Treatment Center, Suburban Hospital, 6001 Montrose Rd., Rockville; 301-896-2036; suburbanhopsital.org/services/124905.html. Affiliated with Suburban Hospital, the Addiction Treatment Center offers clinical evaluations, inpatient detoxification, and intensive-outpatient and continued-care services. Special programs are offered for cases involving legal matters and at-risk adolescents.


Also called “continued-care” facilities, these programs monitor recovering patients through regular, but not overnight, counseling or therapy.

Georgetown University Hospital Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program, 202-687-8678; georgetownuniversityhospital.org. Private and group counseling for individuals and families. Also maintains a support group for women married to substance abusers.

Inova Comprehensive Addiction Treatment Services Program, Fairfax Hospital; 703-776-7777; inova.org/inovapublic.srt/mentalhealth/cats/index.jsp. This program has both short-term inpatient detox and a nine-month outpatient program with varying levels of care for adults in Northern Virginia.

Inova Kellar Center, Fairfax; 703-218-8500; inova.org/inovapublic.srt/kellar/factsheet.jsp. Provides outpatient care to children, adolescents, and families suffering from or affected by drug and alcohol addictions. Daily programs as well as in-home services are available.

Intervention and Advocacy

Formal intervention counselors as well as area organizations promoting alcohol-and-substance-abuse awareness.

Intervention Center, Vaughn Howland, 301-588-4558; intervention.com. Specializes in formal interventions for families and individuals suffering from alcohol and substance-abuse addictions.

The Johnson Institute, 613 Second St., NE; 202-662-7104; johnsoninstitute.org. National advocacy group that works for change in mental-health policy and practices. Information on how to get involved is on its Web site.

Faces and Voices of Recovery, 1010 Vermont Ave., NW, Suite 708; 202-737-0690; facesandvoicesofrecovery.org. Advocacy group that works to broaden social understanding of the disease of addiction. A more detailed list of campaigns and resources is available on its Web site.

Addiction Intervention Resources, St. Paul, Minnesota; 800-561-8158; addictionintervention.com. Provides intervention counselors in the Washington area.

Love First: A New Approach to Intervention for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction by Jeff Jay and Debra Jay; lovefirst.net.

Don’t miss a new restaurant again: Subscribe to our weekly newsletters.


Questions or comments? You can reach us on Twitter, via e-mail, or by contacting the author directly: