Fashion this fall has a bit of a vintage feel—with glamour taking center stage. Think sequins and shine, ladylike dresses and suits, nipped and belted waists, and bows and other feminine detailing. It’s about covering up, not showing off, so you’ll find luxe coats, men’s-cut trousers, and buttoned-up tops. Gray is everywhere, paired with vibrant accessories. “It’s about taking the best of each decade and making it new,” says Ken Downing, fashion director at Neiman Marcus. Lots of women will finish off with another fall look: dramatic red lips.
1. This Elie Tahari cropped jacket ($398) and A-line skirt ($228) have Jackie Kennedy panache. At Saks Fifth Avenue in Chevy Chase and Bloomingdale’s at Tysons Corner Center.
2. Sexy but professional: Guiseppe Zanotti’s crocodile pumps, $450 at Saks Fifth Avenue.
3. Nobody will doubt who’s boss in this Alexander McQueen dress with studded leather detail and gold shimmer, $1,790 at Saks Jandel in Chevy Chase.
4. Grandma didn’t leave you her vintage jewels? Cuff bracelet, $995 at Neiman Marcus.
5. Sequined gray Ophelia flats by Kate Spade, $300 at Neiman Marcus in Mazza Gallerie.
6. Shine in Dolce & Gabanna’s round-toe Decollete Venice patent pumps, $495 at Saks Fifth Avenue.
7. The ’80s shoe booty, updated: Missoni’s version is $850 at Sassanova in Georgetown.
8. Dress up a neutral outfit with Valentino’s Histoire bag, $1,795 at Saks Fifth Avenue in Chevy Chase and Nordstrom at Tysons Corner.
9. Make winter less gray in this Martin Grant coat, $1,830 at Saks Fifth Avenue and Relish in Georgetown.
10. Look unflappable in a flapper-style sequined shift by Bailey 44, $174 at Neiman Marcus.
Photograph by Matthew Worden. Photo shot at Signature Theatre in Arlington.