Wednesday is Bryce Harper’s 21st birthday. He may celebrate at home in Las Vegas, or somewhere near Ohio State University*, where girlfriend Kayla Varner is a student and soccer player. But if he’s celebrating in DC, we’ve got some gift ideas:
- A nonalcoholic West Indian limeade at the bar at Bourbon Steak, which we named one of the area’s best mocktails. Yeah, we know he’s turning 21, but Harper is Mormon.
- Sliding lessons with RG3.
- To help him add the 15 pounds he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post he wanted to gain in the offseason, a gift certificate to his favorite DC restaurant, Guapo’s, for a fat- and protein-laden fajita party.
- A pedicure, to prevent ingrown toenails. Our beauty department recommends Sesen spa in Vienna, Virginia.
- More calories via a cake from Buzz Bakery, in Alexandria.
Meanwhile, let’s recall the treats Harper has given us Washington baseball fans since being called up last April, when he he was just 19.
- One of only two players in MLB history to post a pair of 20-homer seasons before turning 21.
- 42 MLB homers overall since coming to the Nats mid-season in 2012.
- 104 extra base hits.
- 29 career stolen bases.
- At the MLB Home Run Derby in July, Harper came in second in a field of eight.
- Two All-Star games.
- National League Rookie of the Year in 2012.
- Two Sports Illustrated covers, the first while still in high school.
Happy Birthday, Bryce.
*This post has been updated from a previous version.