In Food Money Sex, we ask anonymous Washingtonians to diary the food they ate, the money they spent, and the sex they had over the course of their weekends. On Mondays, we put it on the internet. This week:
- Does: Librarian, 31
- Lives: By herself in a Capitol Hill apartment with lots of character and thin walls
- Is: Female
- Makes: $63,000
- Married? Single
- Friday: Woke up too late for breakfast, but I did have a cup of coffee at home and packed another in a thermos for work. I resorted to my emergency frozen Amy’s Mattar Paneer for lunch. It was rainy and gloomy, so tonight would be my Big Night In. I stopped at the corner store on my way home to pick up a bottle of unpretentious malbec and for dinner attempted to make margherita pizza with cauliflower crust, which tasted pretty good but was structurally suspect. I drank about half the bottle of wine.
- Saturday: Had coffee and a smoothie (mostly banana, avocado, spinach, and cocoa powder) at home for breakfast before heading to a friend’s graduation (of sorts). In the afternoon, my honored friend had a reception/celebration at his apartment where I snacked on some veggies and hummus, cheese and crackers, and two cups of champagne punch. My parents and some other relatives were in town for the night, so I met them for dinner at Hill Country BBQ. I had a sweet tea and a collection of sides: macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and cucumber salad.
- Sunday: Didn’t have anything to do in the morning, so I drank two cups of coffee while making and eating a big breakfast of grits filled with cheese, jalapeños, and spinach, topped with a fried egg and avocado. I had another cup of coffee later while doing some work at Sidamo. For dinner, I made black bean tacos with home-made pico de gallo and guacamole and then had a 3 Stars Ghost white IPA while watching Alien 3.
Friday: Lived off the land until I bought that respectable bottle of wine for $12.09 and rented Aliens from Amazon for $3.99.
- Saturday: Between the ceremony and celebration, picked up some congratulatory flowers for my friend for $10.98. I offered to pay at dinner but was quickly dismissed so the Boomer-aged adults could argue over the check.
Sunday: Bought two tomatoes from one of the farm stands at Eastern Market for $4.79 and three used books—Catalina by W. Somerset Maugham (“a lusty tale” according to the cover), The Abbess of Crewe by Muriel Spark, and Magical Symbols of the World by Pearl Binder—at Capitol Hill Books for $21.15. Coffee was $4 with a tip. I also PayPaled my brother $40 for my half of a present for our mother and rented Alien 3 from Amazon for $3.99.
- Total: $100.99
I broke up with someone recently, so I’m between lovers at the moment.
- Sunday: From what I could hear through the floor (not that I was trying to listen!), the oldish woman who lives in the apartment below me was enjoying some form of bodily pleasure in the afternoon, so I was sex-adjacent if that counts.
Want to be featured in Food Money Sex? Introduce yourself in an email to email@example.com.