Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump would seem to have everything it takes to be a successful Washington couple: high-tier White House access, political clout, and an abundance of money. But on Monday Vanity Fair reported the couple feel like DC “punctures their self-esteem on a daily basis.” Roll your eyes all you want, we can see what they mean—from workout classes to neighborhood parking, this town has done its best to make them feel unwanted.
- Before arriving, Kushner bragged about being pleased that just 4 percent of District residents voted for Donald Trump. For many residents upset about the election, it seemed like he was basking in their unhappiness.
- Nevertheless, some did their best to treat their arrival like any other celebrity touchdown: The term Javanka started appearing, a cutesy portmanteau that arguably masked the very serious intentions of Kushner and Trump.
- When the couple moved into a $5.5 million six-bedroom home in Kalorama, neighbors were soon irritated with Secret Service monopolizing parking, and the problems continue.
- In February, Trump took a Solidcore class under an alias, prompting the chain’s founder Anne Mahlum to reach out for a meeting (and post about it publicly on Facebook). Locals familiar with Solidcore were furious, and some called to boycott the business entirely.
Ivanka’s Dance Party. Dianne Bruce lives across the street from Ivanka Trump and also lives in London (Wilton Crescent Belgravia). She watches protesters dance at the “Queer Dance Party for Climate Justice” in front of Ivanka Trump’s home in the Kalorama neighborhood of Washington DC. #dance #photojournalism #werk #ivankatrump #dc #climatejustice
- Despite the potential market for Ivanka Trump’s brand in DC—young, professional women—DC residents enthusiastically joined the “#GrabYourWallet” backlash against Nordstrom and other retailers who sold her stuff. Even Taylor Gourmet founder Casey Patten stepped in it when he attended a meeting at the White House.
- You can’t even comp them a meal! When RPM Italian offered to tear up Ivanka and Jared’s check one evening (they declined the offer), it was huge news.