What is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Student Visionaries of the Year Campaign?
- Student Visionaries of the Year (SVOY) is a seven-week, philanthropic leadership development program where students foster professional skills such as entrepreneurship, marketing, and project management to raise funds for the mission of LLS: to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma and improve the quality of life for patients and their families. In addition to spreading awareness for blood cancer research and patient services, students raise funds in honor of a local patient hero who is currently battling or in remission from blood cancer.
- The funds raised through the SVOY Campaign are specifically used for:
- Research to advance lifesaving therapies like immunotherapy, genomics, and personalized medicine, which are saving lives today.
- Free blood cancer information, education and support for patients and families.
- National and local advocacy efforts driving policies that accelerate new treatments and ensure patients have access to care so that they can live longer, healthier lives.
- Student Visionaries of the Year is a national campaign with over 75 markets across the country. The Mid-Atlantic region consists of three markets: Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia. This year collectively all three campaigns raised over $4 Million to aid in blood cancer research, support, education, and advocacy.
WHO participates in the Student Visionaries of the Year Campaign?
- Students can run as a single candidate or as a team of up to 3 candidates. Candidates then build out their team to include multigenerational team members.
- The candidate or team of candidates that raise the most funds at the end of the seven-week competition earn the title “Student Visionary of the Year” as well as a scholarship to the college or university of their choice. In addition, three candidate/candidate teams will be selected to receive a Mission Pillar Award.
- LLS is currently accepting applications for the 2024 Student Visionaries of the Year Campaign! Ideal candidates are motivated high school students who are passionate and excited about giving back to their community and changing the world at large. Nominate a high school student today or apply by visiting: https://www.llsstudentvisionaries.org.
“This campaign was truly a life changing experience. It gave us the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the lives of so many. We were blown away by the generosity of our community and to hear how many people have been affected by cancer. SVOY gave us the chance to help others, work as a team, and build our network farther than we ever imagined. We were amazed to see what a group of high school students can do when they work together.”- Past SVOY Winners
- If you are interested in participating or hearing more about the program, please contact Katie Money at Katie.Money@lls.org.
CONGRATULATIONS to the 2023 Winners!!
Washington, D.C. Campaign:
- Winners: Team Union for a Cure (F.C.) led by Rachel Chung & Kosette Koons-Perdikis (Trinity Christian School & St. Andrews Episcopal School)
- 1st Runner Up: Team Panthers Against Cancer led by Hannah Ordan & Naiya Patel (Holton-Arms School)
- 2nd Runner Up: Team Gators Beat Blood Cancer led by Claudia Donatelli, Lara Barabanov, & Clara Ubl (Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart)
- Winner: Team Cancer Wrecking Crew led by Samantha Pratt (Archbishop Spalding High School)
- 1st Runner Up: Team Fly4ACure led by Emilie Garrabrant (St. Mary’s Ryken High School)
- 2nd Runner Up: Team The Answer 4 Cancer led by Gianna Athavale & Swetha Ganesh (Mt. Hebron High School)
Northern Virginia Campaign:
- Winner: Team Answers for Cancers led by Ella Lu, Sahil Sardar & Wyatt Pearce (The Potomac School)
- 1st Runner Up: Team Captains for a Cure led by Cat Pizzarello & Emma Pearson (Loudoun County High School)
- 2nd Runner Up: Team Grant the Champ led by Olivia Cubba (James Madison High School)
Thank you to our generous 2023 sponsors!
Because of you, LLS is a leader in advancing breakthroughs in pediatric cancer research, immunotherapy, genomics, and personalized medicine. You are helping save lives.
Special thanks to our media partners Washingtonian, ABC7 and FOX5DC.
Student Visionaries of the Year 2023 nominations are now open with limited spots. If you are interested in signing up for or nominating a student, please contact Katie Money at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on social media at @llsusa, @llsnatcap, and @llsmaryland.