Friday, September 11
The final installment of the Jazz in the Garden series features pianist Robert Redd and the US Navy Commodores. 5 to 8:30; National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden.
Saturday, September 12
So much to do today:
• See and experience hands-on art at the Torpedo Factory’s Art Activated event. Local professionals will demonstrate clay throwing, bubble-gum painting, beading, human-form sketching, fiber art, and more, while ambitious beginners can attempt their own creations at special Try Me stations. Noon to 4; click here for more information.
• Enjoy your opera with a side of fresh air. It’s opening night of The Barber of Seville in New York, and the Washington National Opera is offering a free simulcast of the performance at Nationals Stadium. Grounds open at 5:30 with pregame festivities; the show begins at 7. Tickets aren’t required.
• The Kennedy Center celebrates international street performance at its Open House Arts Festival. See unicycle tricks, a flea circus, acrobatics, and many musical numbers from noon to 7. There’s also a Multicultural Children’s Book Festival from noon to 4.
• Family films screen for free at the US Navy Memorial’s Burke Theater (701 Pennsylvania Ave, NW) and E Street Cinema as part of the DC Shorts Film Festival. Nine films are up for viewing, but we suggest making it to Pidgeon: Impossible and A Peacock-Feathered Blue. 11 AM; same films at both locations. For more information, click here.
• The Rosslyn Jazz Festival takes over Gateway Park from 12:30 to 7. Headliners include the harmonica player Frédéric Yonnet (4:05 to 5:15), Canadian Holly Cole (5:45 to 7), and the Grammy-winning Spanish Harlem Orchestra (12:30 to 2).
Sunday, September 13
Peruse the secondhand goods of Burleith residents during the annual Burleith Flea Market (1800 block of 36th St., NW), just north of Georgetown; 9 to 3. If all that shopping makes you hungry, hot dogs, half-smokes, and beverages will be available for purchase from 11 to 2.
More>> After Hours Blog | Arts & Events | Happy Hour Finder | Calendar of Events