• Sunday, Prince of Petworth announced that a small space at 3313 11th Street, Northwest, will become a Mexican restaurant from Jackie Greenbaum, the owner of Jackie’s, Sidebar, and Quarry House Tavern, all in Silver Spring. The liquor application on the front of the building says the new place will have seating for 75 with a garden and sidewalk cafe. Tuesday, Tim Carman of the Washington City Paper followed with more details: The menu will have regional Mexican food as well as Los Angeles-street-food-inspired plates (all for less than $15), and food will be served at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
• Missy Frederick of the Washington Business Journal reports that Pinkberry, one of the first players in the tangy-frozen-yogurt trend, just signed its first lease in DC at 1211 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest. Pinkberry, which started in California in 2005, has a big celebrity following. The yogurt—which comes in original, pomegranate, chocolate, mango, coconut, and green-tea flavors—was the predecessor to such popular Washington places as Sweetgreen, Tangysweet, and Mr. Yogato. • Casa Nonna, the Italian restaurant from the team behind BLT Steak, opened its doors Wednesday at 1250 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest. The kitchen is run by Amy Brandwein, who trained under Roberto Donna.
• Speaking of Roberto Donna, the financially troubled chef had the following announcement on Facebook:
• Together with Spanish chef Ferran Adrià of the cutting-edge El Bulli in Spain, the Washington-based chef/restaurateur José Andrés taught a “Science and Cooking” class at Harvard this week. They are two of a dozen chefs the university has hired to present lectures about food, which will be paired with cooking laboratory sessions.
• Nycci Nellis wrote on Twitter that Il Mulino, an Italian restaurant in DC with roots in New York, closed Tuesday after three years in business. The restaurant, which was at 1110 Vermont Avenue, Northwest, posted really over-the-top prices that made it a pre-recession relic.
Follow the Best Bites Bloggers on Twitter at twitter.com/bestbitesblog