It’s been an eventful year here in the fashion department of Washingtonian. As the year winds down, we’re taking some time to reflect on the past 12 months of unforgettable experiences: from a very fashionable Presidential inauguration, to a field trip to Fashion Week, to endless photoshoots. Here are some snapshots of some of our best moments in 2013.
(Captions run left to right, top to bottom.)
2. When Tadashi Shoji made an appearance early this year at Marymount University’s Fashion in Motion show, associate fashion editor Irina Grechko stopped in to pick the designer’s brain.
3. A beautiful, patriotic dessert greeted us at the California State Society and Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising’s Inaugural luncheon, held at the Ritz-Carlton.
4. Eveningwear designer Kevan Hall showcased vibrant gowns at the luncheon, just in time for gala season.
5. In the presidential suite of the Mandarin Oriential, Aerin Lauder gave us a sneak peek of her spring beauty collection.
6. Fashion Editor Kate Bennett sat front and center at the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation’s third annual Great Ladies luncheon and fashion show at Saks Fifth Avenue, featuring the stunning designs of Jason Wu.
7. Accessories galore, including this Alexander McQueen minaudière, on set at our spring fashion photoshoot.
9. And the finished product! Pictured is Kate Greene of Brightest Young Things’ Style Licks blog.
10. Associate fashion editors Diana (yours truly!) and Irina get mini manis at Mischo Beauty’s launch party at Georgetown’s Toka salon.
11. One of the highlights of our September: attending New York Fashion Week. These cards granted us access to Rag & Bone’s spring/summer 2014 show.
12. On our way out of that show, we nearly fainted when we spotted Grace Coddington.
13. Also seen at Fashion Week: a very classy, sleek presentation of designer Jenni Kayne’s spring collection.
14. Geometric pieces by Saint Clair Jewels hang on display at Union Market’s first-ever Thread event.
15. Leandra Medine—a.k.a. the ManRepeller—hosted a book-signing at the W Hotel this fall. Here’s the note she wrote Design & Style Editor Michelle Thomas.
16. An OOTD from Kate: the classic, red-and-green Gucci stripe truly never goes out of style.
17. A fall Saturday morning begins with a Valentino trend presentation at Nordstrom Tysons Corner.
18. BareMinerals brought its “Go Bare” tour, complete with beauty lessons and pink cupcakes, to Georgetown this spring.
19. The start of one of our biggest annual projects: Style Setters. On this rack sits gorgeous gowns by Theia, Valentina Shah, and others with which to dress our 10 winners.
20. … Said looks are obviously incomplete without fabulous shoes.
21. Dirk Burghartz, the general manager of the Four Seasons and a 2013 Style Setter, is photographed outside the Meridian House.
23. The “simply stunning” scene at our Style Setters soirée.
24. A fun job perk: testing out beauty samples, which are constantly arriving at our office. Here, trying one of Estee Lauder’s new spring shades, Hot Spell.
25. Lunching (dessert-ing?) over a spring trend presentation at Ritz-Carlton.
26. That time Michelle was a walking embodiment of Shop Around blog: rocking lucite heels and printed pants at the same time.
27. Shooting lay-downs of Jackie Kennedy-inspired fashion for our November “Then and Now” feature.
28. Hats galore line the floors of Kate’s office (a regular occurrence) to be considered for our June spread on breezy, straw accessories.
29. Ultimate fashion inspiration: the September issues of our favorite magazines. We obsessively studied these throughout the month of August.
30. Knit infinity scarves by local brand DeNada Designs line the walls of the Ulysses Room this fall, at the brand’s fall/winter launch party.
31. Kate and Michelle show up at our annual “Best Of” party absolutely rocking one of the most difficult pieces to pull off: the jumpsuit.
32. Our jobs often overlap with that of our sister publication, Bride & Groom. Here, Kate and Diana get a front-and-center view of this stunning Marchesa gown during the bridal fashion show at Unveiled 2013.
33. Birchbox co-founder Katia Beauchamp visited DC this summer to host an intimate dinner with beauty bloggers, editors, and more.
34. Behind the scenes at our Gift Guide shoot. Have you seen the final product?
35. Fête-ing the opening of Shobha, a girly waxing and threading salon that opened downtown (conveniently, just down the street from our office) this fall.
36. Also in openings this year: makeup artist Erwin Gomez’s KARMA beauty lounge in West End. At the opening party, models posed in gorgeous designer dresses from Hu’s Wear.
37. Jessica Alba, Marla Malcom Beck (of Bluemercury), Alli Webb (of Drybar), and Katherine Kallinis (of Georgetown Cupcake), graced the front row at Bethesda’s annual Front Row fashion event.
38. On set with lawyer Dalia Abu-Eid for our January feature on the new (stylish) power suit. See the story in the current issue, which just hit newsstands!
You Might Also Like:
Year in the Life of a Bridal Editor
Behind the Scenes: Spring Fashion
How DC Spent NY Fashion Week