An unmanned NASA rocket loaded with supplies bound for the International Space Station exploded six seconds after its launch Tuesday evening from the space agency’s facility on Wallops Island, Virginia.
The agency says all personnel at the facility are unharmed and accounted for. Announcers on NASA’s live feed say there is a large amount of debris scattered across the launch area, but that no one was near the pad when the rocket, an Antares craft built by Dulles-based Orbital Sciences Corporation, exploded.
NBC4 reports tremors from the explosion carried across the water to Ocean City, Maryland, about 45 miles from Wallops Island. The launch was originally scheduled for Monday, but was delayed after a sailboat navigated too closely to the NASA facility. The rocket’s flight path was expected to be visible from Washington and other parts of the East Coast.
UPDATE, 10/29/14: In a statement Tuesday night, NASA says it is still determining what caused the Antares rocket’s destruction, but that it will work past the incident. “While NASA is disappointed that Orbital Sciences’ third contracted resupply mission to the International Space Station was not successful today, we will continue to move forward toward the next attempt once we fully understand today’s mishap,” the space agency says.
The crew on the International Space Station, which was expecting a payload of supplies from the Antares craft, is in no danger of running out of food or other supplies, NASA says.
Agency officials also say that anyone who finds debris should not touch it and call 757-824-1295.
Benjamin Freed joined Washingtonian in August 2013 and covers politics, business, and media. He was previously the editor of DCist and has also written for Washington City Paper, the New York Times, the New Republic, Slate, and BuzzFeed. He lives in Adams Morgan.
NASA Rocket Explodes Seconds After Launch in Virginia
The rocket was carrying supplies to the International Space Station. No one was injured in the explosion.
An unmanned NASA rocket loaded with supplies bound for the International Space Station exploded six seconds after its launch Tuesday evening from the space agency’s facility on Wallops Island, Virginia.
The agency says all personnel at the facility are unharmed and accounted for. Announcers on NASA’s live feed say there is a large amount of debris scattered across the launch area, but that no one was near the pad when the rocket, an Antares craft built by Dulles-based Orbital Sciences Corporation, exploded.
NBC4 reports tremors from the explosion carried across the water to Ocean City, Maryland, about 45 miles from Wallops Island. The launch was originally scheduled for Monday, but was delayed after a sailboat navigated too closely to the NASA facility. The rocket’s flight path was expected to be visible from Washington and other parts of the East Coast.
UPDATE, 10/29/14: In a statement Tuesday night, NASA says it is still determining what caused the Antares rocket’s destruction, but that it will work past the incident. “While NASA is disappointed that Orbital Sciences’ third contracted resupply mission to the International Space Station was not successful today, we will continue to move forward toward the next attempt once we fully understand today’s mishap,” the space agency says.
The crew on the International Space Station, which was expecting a payload of supplies from the Antares craft, is in no danger of running out of food or other supplies, NASA says.
Agency officials also say that anyone who finds debris should not touch it and call 757-824-1295.
Watch video of the failed launch:
Find Benjamin Freed on Twitter at @brfreed.
Benjamin Freed joined Washingtonian in August 2013 and covers politics, business, and media. He was previously the editor of DCist and has also written for Washington City Paper, the New York Times, the New Republic, Slate, and BuzzFeed. He lives in Adams Morgan.
Most Popular in News & Politics
Sandwich Guy Has Become DC’s Hero
Pirro’s Office Fails to Get Indictment Against Sandwich Guy
DC Kids Go Back to School, Federal Troops Will Carry Weapons in the District, and “Big Balls” Posted a Workout Video
USDA Spent $16,400 on Banners to Honor Trump and Lincoln
Trump’s Homeless Encampment Clearings Are Just Shuffling People Around
Washingtonian Magazine
September Issue: Style Setters
View IssueSubscribe
Follow Us on Social
Follow Us on Social
Related
Fiona Apple Wrote a Song About This Maryland Court-Watching Effort
The Confusing Dispute Over the Future of the Anacostia Playhouse
Protecting Our Drinking Water Keeps Him Up at Night
PHOTOS: The Outrageous Style of the North American Irish Dance Championships
More from News & Politics
How Washingtonians Can Run, March, and Rally Against the Trump Administration Takeover
Sandwich Guy Is Now Charged With a Misdemeanor, Trump Wants to Keep DC Safe From Brutalist Architecture, and Summer Is Officially Over
Guest List: 5 People We’d Love to Hang Out With This September
DC’s Police Union Head Is the Biggest Cheerleader of Trump’s DC Police Takeover
Health Officials Flee CDC After White House Fires Director, Tensions Between Parents and ICE Erupt in Mount Pleasant, and There’s a New Red Panda
Pirro’s Office Fails to Get Indictment Against Sandwich Guy
Taylor Swift’s Ring Cost What Trump Paid Troops to Pick Up Trash in DC Yesterday, Someone in Maryland Got a Flesh-Eating Parasite, and Arlington Hired a Dog
The Ultimate Guide to Indie Bookstores in the DC Area