Articles > Homes
Boarding and Kennels
These kennels were voted top for quality by readers of Washington Consumers’ Checkbook, by Washingtonians who took our online poll, or by experts.
Those marked with an asterisk (*)received Checkbook’s top mark for low prices. Those marked with • provide pickup and delivery for an extra charge.
Alexandria Animal Hospital, 2660 Duke St., Alexandria; 703-751-2022; alexandriaanimalhospital.com. Offers boarding to clients who have been with them at least six months.
Amberlyn Kennels, 10508 Daysville Rd., Walkersville; 301-898-3106; amberlynkennels.com. The owners live on the property.
• Anchors Kennel, 17810 Indian Head Hwy., Accokeek; 301-283-2626; anchorskennels.com. On 22 acres 15 minutes south of the Beltway.
Buckeystown Veterinary Hospital, 3820 Buckeystown Pike, Buckeystown; 301-698-9930; buckeystownvet.com. Boarding options include playtime.
Country Club Kennels & Training, 10739 Bristersburg Rd., Catlett, 540-788-3559; 9394 Pine Glade La., Locust Grove, 540-854-6000; countryclubkennels.com. On 45 acres in Fauquier County.
The Country Kennel, 5718 Ridge Rd., Mount Airy; 301-831-7766; countrykennel.com. Indoor/outdoor run space and piped-in 24-hour music.
• Countryside Kennels, Boyds Turn Rd., Owings; 301-855-8308; countrysidekennels.com. Individual shaded outdoor runs in addition to climate-controlled indoor rooms. Large play area for cats.
* Deepwood Veterinary Clinic,7300 Ordway Rd., Centreville; 703-631-9133; deepwoodvet.net. Private “luxury” rooms in addition to standard indoor/outdoor runs. Accommodations for exotic pets.
Dulles Executive Pet Center, 44931 Lane Ct., Sterling; 703-709-1111; dullesexec.com. “Pet lounge” with sofas and cat hide-and-play areas.
• Dulles Gateway Pet Retreat, 4500 Upper Cub Run Dr., Chantilly; 703-631-9590; dullesgatewaykennels.com. Affiliated with Pender Veterinary Centre. Offers a pampered-puppy program with extra attention and fleece bedding.
* Gaithersburg Animal Hospital, 280 N. Frederick Ave., Gaithersburg; 301-948-2828. Medically supervised boarding.
Laytonsville Veterinary Practice, 5910 Sundown Rd., Gaithersburg; 301-948-0158; laytonsvillevetpractice.com. Individual dog playtime.
* • Mountain Run Kennel, 15467 Retriever Rd., Culpeper; 540-547-2961; mountainrunkennel.com. Dogs can stay in rooms with sofas. Exercise activities include a pond swim and Frisbee.
Old Mill Boarding Kennel, 91 Lawson Rd. SE, Leesburg; 703-777-4183; oldmillpets.com. The “cat loft” includes windowed condos and skylights.
* • Paws Awhile Pet Motel, 7353 Woodlawn La., Warrenton; 540-347-4855; pawsawhilepetmotel.com. Dogs from the same family can board together.
Perfect Pet Resort, 840 W. Bay Front Rd. (Rt. 258), Lothian; 410-741-0000; perfectpetresort.com. Outdoor walks for dogs; massage and acupuncture treatments available.
Pet Dominion, 15820 Redland Rd., Rockville; 301-258-0333; petdominion.com. Dogs sleep on lambskin beds.
Preston Country Club for Pets, 7363 Old Columbia Rd., Columbia; 301-596-7387. Staff personally handles all dogs when letting them outside.
Queen Anne Kennel, 17705 Queen Anne Rd., Upper Marlboro; 301-249-1210. On 15 acres with indoor and outdoor runs.
• Shady Springs Boarding Kennels and Camp for Dogs, 1001 Hoods Mill Rd., Woodbine; 301-924-4457; shadyspringkennels.com. Provides pickup and drop-off service in DC and parts of Carroll, Montgomery, Howard, and Baltimore counties.
* Springfield Animal Hospital, 6580 Backlick Rd., Springfield; 703-451-1995; springfieldah.com. Boards exotics such as birds and hamsters.
Sunchaser Kennels, 13416 Liberty Rd., Libertytown; 301-898-3198; sunchaserkennels.com. Dogs can move freely between indoor and outdoor runs.
VCA University Veterinary Clinic, 10681 Braddock Rd., Fairfax; 703-385-1054; vcauniversityva.com. Also offers full medical services.
* Village Veterinary Clinic, 9544 Burke Rd., Burke; 703-978-8655. Dogs are walked outside three times a day.
Waggin’ Tails Junction, 10035 Dean Dr., Manassas; 703-361-7550; waggintailsjunction.com. Also offers daycare and training.
* Woodbridge Animal Hospital, 2703 Caton Hill Rd., Woodbridge; 703-897-5665; woodbridgeanimalhospital.vetsuite.com. Dogs are walked individually at least three times a day.