Articles > Style
Timeless Style: What Would Jackie and JFK Wear Today?
Jacqueline Kennedy had impeccable taste and, as First Lady, forever changed American fashion. What would she wear today? We’ve pulled together modern looks inspired by Jackie—and by JFK.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by Art Rickerby/Getty Images.
1. Silky Smooth: Black Fleece silk dolman blouse and skirt, at Brooks Brothers, $650 and $550.
2. Hats Off: “Bruxelles” black felt hat with feathers, at Proper Topper (1350 Connecticut Ave., NW; 202-842-3055), $42.
3. Set in Stone: Fluorite earring by Gerard Yosca,at Sassanova (7134 Bethesda La., Bethesda; 301-654-7403), $105.
4. Go for the Gold: Bangle bracelet (top) by Asha by ADM, at the Shoe Hive; pavé link bracelet, at Ginger, $295 and $88.
5. A Tough Shell: “Nina” patent-leather clutch in tortoise shell by L.K. Bennett, at Bishop Boutique, $310.
6. On the Dot: “Jennifer” slingback pumps by Isaac Mizrahi, at Bishop Boutique, $140.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by George Elam/Alamy.
1. Cape Crusade: Luii houndstooth capelet, at the Lucky Knot,$169.
2. Sunny Skies: Prada sunglasses, at nordstrom.com, $290.
3. Black and White: “Kiera” clutch by Milly, at Bishop Boutique (815-B King St., Alexandria; 571-312-0042), $335.
4. Link Love: Hammered-link bracelet, at Ginger, $24.
5. Green Scene: Sleeveless organza damask jacquard top by Tibi, at Horse Boutique (1910 Towne Center Blvd., Annapolis; 410-626-9726), $298.
6. Pencil It In: “Smitty” skirt by Trina Turk, at Ginger (7114 Bethesda La., Bethesda; 301-664-9242), $228.
7. Need for Tweed: “Holly” tweed flats by L.K. Bennett, at Bishop Boutique, $275.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by Keystone Pressedienst/Zuma Press.
1. Into the Blue: Loren Hope earrings, at lorenhope.com, $48.
2. Pearl Two: Double-strand faux-pearl necklace, at the Lucky Knot (101 King St., Alexandria; 703-549-1797), $32.
3. Gloves Off: Leather gloves in palomino, at Talbots, $99.
4. Chic Shades: “Fairfax” sunglasses by Elizabeth and James, at the Shoe Hive (127 S. Fairfax St., Alexandria; 703-548-7105), $185.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by AP Images.
1. Lady in Red: “Gia” dress by Shoshanna, at Urban Chic (1626 Wisconsin Ave., NW; 202-338-5398), $350.
2. In the Shade: “Liv” sunglasses in greystone, at warbyparker.com, $95.
3. Something Blue: “Give It a Swirl” necklace by Kate Spade, at Sassanova, $98.
4. Arm Candy: Bangles with cabochon, at Bishop Boutique, $60 each.
5. White On: Loren Hope white-and-gold earrings, at Periwinkle (1557 Potomac Greens Dr., Alexandria; 703-519-5242), $48.
6. Seeing Spots: “Lauraly” pointed-toe calf-hair flats by Ivanka Trump, at Bishop Boutique, $130.
7. Keep It Brief: Quilted leather bag, at C. Wonder (Pentagon City; 703-413-7046), $248.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by Marka/Alamy.
1. Top It Off: “Ferris” hat by Genie by Eugenia Kim, at Wink (3109 M St., NW; 202-338-9465), $80.
2. Animal Attraction: Wool faux-leopard coat, at Ann Taylor, $278.
3. Aubergine Dream: Scoop-back dress by Contrarian New York Sade, at Zoe Boutique (130 S. Union St., Alexandria; 571-970-6324), $290.
4. Emerald Pretty: Diane von Furstenberg lizard-embossed envelope clutch, at the Shoe Hive, $195.
5. Shine On: Teatro Moderne bijou pyramid clip earrings by Alexis Bittar, at the Shoe Hive, $295.
6. Tiny Baubles: Faux-pearl-and-crystal stud necklace by R.J. Graziano, at the Shoe Hive, $55.
7. Pumped Up: “Pacey” stacked-heel pumps by Tory Burch, at the Shoe Hive, $295.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedy by John F. Kennedy Library/Zuma Press.
1. Check Mate: Peter Millar shirt, at the Lucky Knot Men’s Store (103 King St., Alexandria; 703-549-1044), $115.
2. True Blue: Holebrook sweater, at the Lucky Knot Men’s Store, $218.
3. Ship Shape: “Preston” sunglasses in whiskey tortoise, at warbyparker.com, $95.
4. Beat the Chill: Herringbone-and-stripe wool scarf, at Massimo Dutti (1220 Wisconsin Ave., NW; 202-944-8780), $69.50.
5. On Deck: “Cordones” sneakers by Toms, at the Lucky Knot Men’s Store, $69.
6. Autumn Colors: Burnt-orange pleated-front chinos, at Brooks Brothers (3077 M St., NW; 202-298-8797), $99.
Photograph by Jeff Elkins. Photograph of Kennedys by Bettman/Corbis.
1. Well Suited: Milano sport coat and dress trousers, at Brooks Brothers, $750.
2. Fit to Be Tied: Navy tie with green dots by Collared Greens, at the Lucky Knot Men’s Store, $85.
3. Pocket Flair: Rep slim tie, used as a pocket square, at Brooks Brothers, $80.
4. Cool and Crisp: Supima-cotton Ainsley French-cuff dress shirt, at Brooks Brothers, $92.
5. Buckle Up: Leather belt, at Suitsupply (2828 Pennsylvania Ave., NW; 202-800-7800), $59.
6. Head to Toe: Cotton dress socks, at Suitsupply, $16.50.
7. Oxford Blues: Peal & Co. medallion cap-toe shoes, at Brooks Brothers, $648.
This article appears in the November 2013 issue of Washingtonian.