2. Pay homage to the late director/writer John Hughes and get in the back-to-school mood with a free screening of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at the John Hughes Memorial Film Series at 8 Thursday at Asylum in DC’s Adams Morgan.
3. Sway to swing, bob to Brazilian, and jive to jazz at the Smithsonian’s free Jazz in the Garden on Friday from 5 to 8:30. Between the great wine on hand and the splashing of the National Gallery of Art’s grand fountain nearby, you’d be wise to locate the nearest restroom beforehand.
4. Motown Philly’s back again! More middle-age and less pubescent than before, Boyz II Men is playing at the Maryland State Fair Friday at 7:30 in Gaithersburg. The $8 fairgrounds admission is your ticket to the show.
5. Electronica meets hipster meets dub at the Liberation Dance Party at DC9 on Friday starting at 9. So lace up your Converse All-Stars and hydrate with free rail cocktails from 9 to 10:30. $6.
6. Looking for some diversity in Columbia Heights outside the realm of Target and Bed Bath & Beyond? Head to the annual Columbia Heights Day on Saturday from 10 to 2. Highlights include a free yoga lesson, a cupcake-eating contest, and a petting zoo
7. From Dave Chappelle to Lewis Black, Washington has produced its fair share of funnymen. Who knows, maybe the next big thing will be performing at the Old Arlington Grill’s Open Mic Stand-Up Comedy night on Saturday from 10:30 to midnight. Free.
8. Work on your tan, perfect your breaststroke, and laugh at Will Ferrell passing out in a pool at the Brightest Young Things’ screening of Old School Sunday at the Capital Skyline Hotel. The weekly pool party starts at noon, and a $10 ticket gets you a free hamburger or veggie burger and admission to the film, which screens at 8:15.
9. What better way to work off that Friday-night hangover than by waking up and gyrating the carbs away with a hula-hoop? Fitness guru Jocelyn Gordon is offering a free Hoopnotica class Saturday from 9 to 10 AM at Gateway Park in Arlington.
10. Rock out to DJ Adrian Loving at the Coolout on the Beacon Hotel’s rooftop Sunday from 3 to 9. It's free to get in, and a cash bar will be available.