Capital Comment Blog > Guest List
Guest List: Today’s Newsmakers
The Washingtonians in headlines today we’d like to have dinner with tonight
• Charlie Davies. After a horrific car crash on the George Washington Parkway that cost him his spot on the U.S.’s World Cup team and set back his career with a French team, Davies is returning to Washington to play for D.C. United—and looking for redemption. He’ll have to earn his spot on United and see if he can again become the internationally competitive striker he once was.
• Anya Douglas. Inspired by a couple dancing to Rafael Saadiq in the aisles, the store manager of the Wegman’s in Prince George’s County has turned the supermarket into a hot spot for singles. Now Wegman’s has jazz concerts and an active pickup scene, and Georgetown’s Social Safeway has competition. What’s next? Hipster speed dating at Whole Foods?
• Francesca Hogi. Last night the Washington lawyer became the first contestant voted off the current season of Survivor.
• Josh Burnheimer. The assistant director of Virgina Tech’s alumni association is pushing an unusual initiative—getting Hokies to inter their ashes in a new repository on campus that will be open to alumni, staff, and students. At $5,000 a pop, it’s not a cheap way to spend eternity. But then, maybe Tech has figured out a secret to long-lasting school spirit that the rest of Washington’s universities could benefit from.
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Capital Comment Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Capital Comment Blog