Those of us in the Washington area who are obsessed with textiles count ourselves lucky to be in driving distance of Haute Fabrics in Marshall, Virginia, one of the best sources for premier fabrics at bargain prices. I, for one, have hit the fabric jackpot a number of times at Haute, like the time I secured 18 yards of Kelly Wearstler’s Fern Tree in charcoal grey at $28 a yard—a huge steal considering this fabric normally retails at $200 a yard and up!
If you’re in the mood to try your luck at unearthing your own treasure, head over to Haute Fabric’s tent sale beginning July 20. It’s been a few years since proprietor Roxene Hill hosted such an event, so there will be a wide and varied range of select fabrics from $14 to $16 a yard, and trims will be 20 percent off.
Since you won’t want to miss out on finding just the right fabric, here are a few tips to consider before you head out to the sale:
• Make a list of all the possible needs you have in your home for fabric. Whether you’re looking for the perfect pattern to cover a bench cushion or to make a valance for a currently unadorned window, a good list will help you stay on track with your selection.
• Take measurements to ensure you buy the correct yardage. If you’re buying for slipcovers or a reupholstering project, the staff at Haute will be able to help you estimate the correct amount.
• Don’t rely on memory for the right colors. Take paint chips and other samples of fabrics in your room. Pull out the filler of a pillow and take the cover with you when you shop.
• Snap some cell phone pictures of the various rooms you’re in search of fabric for. Before you leave, compare the image with the room to see how accurately the color matches.
• And finally, if you come across a fabric you absolutely fall in love with, get it! You’ll eventually find a place in your home to use it.
Haute Fabrics. 8393 W. Main St., Marshall, Virginia; 540-364-1221. The tent sale begins on July 20 and runs through July 31. Open Monday through Saturday 10 to 5, Sunday 1 to 4.