In 2004, as Oxon Hill Manor was about to complete a major, two-year renovation, a fire broke out in the estate’s east wing and caused severe structural, smoke, and water damage. This summer, the historic Georgian manor finally re-opened to the public. An open house this weekend shows off the restored estate and gives visitors a chance to wander the mansion’s 49 rooms.
Oxon Hill Manor was built in 1928 for Sumner Welles, undersecretary of State for President Franklin Roosevelt, who was a frequent visitor. Today the mansion—which is owned by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission—is a popular site for weddings and other events. Fourteen local caterers will provide snacks and refreshments at this Sunday’s open house, from 1 to 4 PM.
Oxon Hill Manor, 6901 Oxon Hill Road, Oxon Hill; 301-839-7782